Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 
BettaMama11

advice/suggestions??

So after having to leave my tank (10G) in the care of my other half two of my ladies passed away leaving Lily and Dori alone, after a water change my tank began to rapidly develop an algae problem and now Dori seems to be pineconing her scales are becoming raised and is puffing up a little..I have placed her in QT.

To deal with the algae problem I purchased 2 Zebra Nerite snails today...and 4 other new ladies =) they are currently floating in their cups in the tank and have been so far for about 15mins, did another water change...Lily is swimming around seems fine in general but I don't know if its because of the water change...but she seems to be "breathing heavily" if that makes sense??

Any suggestions on how to make the transition smooth for all ladies involved?? I want to minimize the stress for all! Lily is larger than some of the newbies!Hoping she won't be too difficult! Wish I could take pictures but the camera I have is rubbish!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #2 
emeraldsky

Sorry to hear about your girls passing away :c

Not sure on the breathing heavily, you might want to reread the stickies in the betta emergency, it might be a symptom of something and looking those over may help you in catching something early.

Since youre doing a sorority, the best way is to take Lily out and reorganize the tank.

That way Lily wont feel threatened when you introduce the new girls. It reestablishes territories ^^

Also before releasing everyone, feed them a bit. Full bettas are happy bettas and the competition for food wont be as big as a problem
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #3 
BettaMama11

Lily just died =( !! so sad..but thanks for your advice!! I haven't taken the others out of the cups yet was trying to make sure I gave them all time to get used to each other but... =( oh dear...my poor Lily...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #4 
LionCalie

I would check your aquarium water parameters by either taking it to a LFS or testing it yourself using a liquid test kit, if you haven't already. You want to find out where your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates are at.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #5 
BettaMama11

Yeah will do that now defo before releasing my newbies...do you think the algae had something to do with it??
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #6 
BettaMama11

My water readings are:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
pH: 7.6
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm-5ppm...its not quite orange not quite yellow... :S

Last edited by BettaMama11; 11-10-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Your ammonia is a little high. Your nitrates are good and your pH is good too. Is your tank cycled?

I don't think the algae had anything to do with it. Algae is pretty harmless overall. It can kill your live plants, though. More likely, your girls had an internal bacterial infection, particularly if Dori began pineconing. Dropsy indicates a buildup of fluids caused by organs not functioning properly/shutting down and the organ failure is usually caused by a bacterial infection of some sort. How new were your girls?

Last edited by Sakura8; 11-10-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #8 
BettaMama11

Yeah its cycled....but I don't know maybe the cycle got disrupted at some point?..I just changed the filter cartridge could that maybe have something to do with it?? The girls have been eating less food the past couple of days and there has been a little left over perhaps that may have contributed?? I tried to get some out but those pellets are tricky to get out sometimes!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Did you have to medicate anyone at any point? Using medications can sometimes disrupt the cycle. Changing the filter cartridge shouldn't have disrupted it that much because manufacturers design the filters so that replacing the cartridge specifically won't disrupt the cycle. It could be the leftover food. Do you have gravel and if so, do you vacuum it? And how often do you change the water? How many girls are in the tank right now?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #10 
BettaMama11

My Dori and Lily were my too original girls got them back in February/March this year, and neither one of them had to be medicated recently. I do have gravel and a vacuum I do one full change a week and then a half change during the week, sometimes two depending on the time I have...

Right now I have 4 girls floating in their cups in the tank, there are 2 Nerite snails that I just got in there now busy munching away on all that algae!...and Dori is in a qt tank, she's still not comfy with the tank and seems a little stressed so I've left the lights off for her..the filter in her qt tank seems to bother her a little too so for now I've left it off until she gets used to her temp home!