Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #1 
valleyankee

Tell me why I should buy a moss ball.....

Why do I need one of these? How do you care for them?
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

=D woo +1 to the moss ball army

you don't really need one per-se .. but the benefits of having one are:

1) marimo ball (moss ball) is a type of algae that grows in the shape of a ball they grow off the nutrients in the water that all algae will eat .. one of the reasons to get a moss ball is because if you have one .. it will eat all the nutrients that other types algae thrive on and could effect your tank .. so .. if you have a moss ball eating up the nutrients .. it makes your tank unfavorable for other types of algae to grow

2) they are very low maintenance .. low light algae .. and easy to care for .. all u have to do is once a week .. preferably with your water changes is to take them out .. rinse them under water to get visible debris off it .. squeeze it to get the stagnant water out of it .. and roll it in your hands like when rolling play dough so that it retains it's round shape .. and that's it

3) cus they are addicting and just as cute as having a betta =D .. they are aliveeeeeeee .. hehe j-k ^_^ .. but they do float around .. make bubbles (called pearling) .. and a nice place for bettas to sleep on as well
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

4) Some bettas love them because they are soft and smooshy and every betta deserves to have a soft and smooshy chair to rest on.

5) This is not really a reason, but a warning: These are gateway plants. You buy one, and the next thing you know you buy a few more. Then you realize you can keep them alive and the next thing you know you are buying every living thing that is green. When you go into a petstore, once you are done looking at what bettas they have, you look at what plants they have. And unlike bettas, you can add as many as you want to a tank. You notice a tiny, cute little crested java fern that looks like an angry baby version of your big java fern. That lucky bamboo has such a cute little curl to it's stem and would look perfect sticking out of "instert name here"'s tank! The list goes on...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
valleyankee

quit while you are ahead....
Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #5 
ShyDog

+1 to gateway plants
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #6 
Sassington

OMG I'm laughing so hard!!

Gateway plants FTW!!!!!

P.S. I'm soooo glad I haven't yet spotted these cute angry little ferns... I may go broke and all the people at PETCO would point and laugh at crazy-java-fern-lady and then they would be the enablers for my new found addiction.

Last edited by Sassington; 11-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #7 
bastage

lol.. My Gateway plant was Duckweed that I got for free.. Now I hate amazon for shipping my new lights so damn slow.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 
ekwerle

LOL @ reasons 3 & 5! So true. They are cute and squishy. Except for this one time I took mine out and squeezed it and it smelled like rotten egg...but it only happened one time. I forget why it happened and how I fixed it, so obviously it wasn't too bad. =)
ekwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #9 
valleyankee

I don't really like touching the fish water when I clean.....
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 
MorganC2010

Sorry if I'm invading in on this thread but where would someone buy on of these? I don't think I've seen them in any local pet store. I'm interested in buying one now lol.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote