Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #1 
Captain Jim Dandy

Female with no egg release

I tried to breed a pair of bettas, but the male went a little nuts and spawning didn't happen . What should I do about gravid female and her unreleased eggs? Will she be okay naturally?
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #2 
Myates

Normally if the female doesn't drop the eggs, they will absorb them on their own. So give her time, she should be fine on her own. Very rarely will one become egg bound.

How did you introduce the pair and how did you condition them?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

The female should be fine-she will either release the eggs on her own and eat them or not or reabsorb them...females do this on a regular basis....don't be surprised if she has whitish/creamy looking poop for a few days after she reabsorbs or eats her eggs...this too is normal....

You don't have to spawn females-they will always have unripe eggs in them and they will take care of it themselves on a regular basis...

What spawning method did you use...tell us more about your spawning tank, how you preconditioned....etc....and maybe we can help you....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #4 
Captain Jim Dandy

The non-mamma

Thank you for your reassurance and expertise--I did't feed live food like I would prefer but they both ate good pellet food voraciously and they were healthy. He was in a ten gallon tank and she was separated in one gallon bowl for two days{in ten gallon}. He built nice nest showed off and such--released her into his area. He swam back and forth for ten hours displaying til exhausted then showed no interest in her, food for almost a day. I got worried and removed him.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Tell us more about your spawning tank....10gal-any live plants, substrate, water level, filter, type of additives used...is this your first spawn attempt.....are you using the standard method....if this is your first attempt- the standard method is best IMO and once you get some experience you can try other methods...lot of different ways to spawn this species and rear fry successfully...its finding what work for you, your breeders and what you have on hand....it can be a lot of fun and rewarding...but frustrating at times too....

Love to see some pics of your Bettas and hear more about your plans/goals..
Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #6 
Captain Jim Dandy

Great to hear back from you.I tried this some 45 years ago as a teenager and got fry hatched but never got them past a couple of weeks or so old. During the time between messages here began some more research here on the internet- much help but personal knowledge like will likely save my day.Like yours I mean. Um- possibly I have my water too deep but that's to use my heater.No live plants yet- will work on that this weekend.Conventional? Yes I think so-Visional contact, introduction,mate, remove female- more research coming after I get home from work tomorrow morning.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 
Captain Jim Dandy

Substrate is one third sand bottom{to hold artificial plants down} and bare glass bottom. No filter in that tank. More I think about it now that's probably wrong huh? Should I look into sponge filter? No additives- I have good well water here but have thought about some stress coat and I like "dark water" or peat but warned these can be poisonous. Pics- not yet-I'm new on computer too. Sorry.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I spawn using the natural method in 5-10gal NPT soil based full to the top with water(see my album for pic)....Low water volume is more for the long heavy fin males that are not in good condition or struggle to swim......its more for the male to make it easier for him to retrieve the eggs without tiring him out...it doesn't have anything to do with growth/development of eggs/fry.....
With first time attempts it is often easier to use bare bottom, half full or full tank in your case-if you add a bunch of live plants floating or even fake plants will help keep the female safer...
Live plants and common snails also have benefits by producing microorganism for fry food, hiding/hunting place and rest areas for the fry and the common snails along with the food they can help produce for the fry- will also help clean up any non-viable eggs, dead/dying fry to prevent the water from fouling too fast as well as later when you start feeding the fry...they clean up uneaten food...the bacteria the snail poop produces is safer than the rotting food....

Good that you are doing lots of research....spawning this species isn't an exact science....lots of different ways to successfully do it....and it can change from spawn to spawn even with the same breeders in some cases...they love to keep us on our toes....lol....

Sand is fine-no filter for spawning, however, you may want to add a sponge filter once the fry are about 2-3 weeks old

I have well water too....and have not had any problems-but well water as you know can be different from location to location as well as season and weather....lol.....

To tan the water is a good idea...I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf for my tannin source..

What are your fry feeding plans.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-10-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #9 
Captain Jim Dandy

That was what I wanted to ask you! The best way to hatch infusoria in 70 degree weather? And can I trust microworm cultures from pet store? Don't know anyone very well. I was able to get brineshrimp eggs but they are pretty big aren't they? By the way both of these fish recovered very well. The lavender male swims like a snake when he's aggravated {undulates in s waves}.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #10 
Captain Jim Dandy

Gotta go save the world now. More help tomorrow I hope.