Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #1 
xbecky685x

Question about Aquarium salt

Helloo
Im sure i dont need to use it.. but im just wondering incase i do in the future..
When you use AQ salt do you have to do 100% water changes daily?
Or can you use it and do water changes as normal?
Thanks
x
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #2 
Myates

AQ salt, used for specific treatment- you would be doing daily 100% water changes, adding in (water conditioner and) salt each time making sure to dissolve it first to avoid burning the little ones. You would use it for no longer then 10 days recommended, 14 days at most for certain cases.
You wouldn't want to use it on a normal routine as in time it can cause internal problems such as kidney failure and resistances to it by both the fish and the bacteria. Also not recommended to use with live plants as it can kill them easily.

AQ salt is good to have around, for external problems such as Ich, fin rot, etc. I know you just asked about water changes, but figured to cover the whole of it :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #3 
Neelie

^^^ as above, however imo the daily waterchanges is overdoing it and actually stresses the fish more than anything else. it also depends greatly on the size tank too :) for a 3g id do water changes every 3 days, for a 10g lets say, once a week if there is a problem with your fish (like a disease or severe stress situation)
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) is not needed nor recommended for long term use with this species...it is a great product to use for treatment when used for the right reason, dosage and duration...

Treatments are best done in a small bare QT container-this give you more control, ease of observation and water changes......also, by premixing some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-this will make the needed water changes easier, you can add a tannin source for added benefits and ensures the salt is dissolved.

When the Betta needs a salt treatment-100% daily water changes with the premixed treatment water will help provide the proper dosage-generally 100% water changes are part of the treatment too on a daily basis for a set amount of time.

Over use, long term use, used in non-therapeutic dosages can cause resistant issues and internal organ damage.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Since you are preparing for potential future emergencies, you might want to pick up some epsom salt as well. Just make sure it is unscented. It is useful for bloat and other internal problems. :)

Another useful item for bloat is frozen (or even live!) daphnia because it helps with digestion.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
^^^ as above, however imo the daily waterchanges is overdoing it and actually stresses the fish more than anything else. it also depends greatly on the size tank too :) for a 3g id do water changes every 3 days, for a 10g lets say, once a week if there is a problem with your fish (like a disease or severe stress situation)
It really is best to do the water changes more often when they are ill, even most medicines themselves will say to do more then that. Doing daily 100% with the salt puts you into more control of treating them.. among everything else already mentioned by OFL.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #7 
xbecky685x

Thanks guys! :) Hopefully he wont ever need to use it... but thought i should know just incase..

Thank you!

xx
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #8 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It really is best to do the water changes more often when they are ill, even most medicines themselves will say to do more then that. Doing daily 100% with the salt puts you into more control of treating them.. among everything else already mentioned by OFL.
depends on the severety of the disease also, i always found my fish to be more stressed by daily changes thus not giving them the peace they need to recover. but thats just me. i tend to do the changes every 2-3 days when there is a problem.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote