Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #1 
kstryker

Is popeye permanently damaging?

About I got my betta as little one in July and by August his eyes started getting bigger as he was getting bigger, I just assumed he was going to have big eyes. In September he was visibly having trouble finding his food, and stopped exploring his bowl, didn't know what it could have been and didn't connect it to the big eyes because I didn't know about popeye. I am treating him now with KanaPlex. I'm hoping this works.
Does popeye cause permanent vision damage?
This is a pic I took today of him.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images

kstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 
Myates

It can if not treated properly, or in time.
It's hard to tell in that picture whether it's popeye, or just the natural bubble they have around their eyes. If you can get one looking down at him, that would be helpful. He looks like a pretty boy.

Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use Epsom Salt first. 2 teaspoons of ES per gallon, perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq. Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq. Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq. Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Yea, it doesn't look like popeye. What's the temperaturein the water... does he have a heater? Colder water might have something to do with his behavior.
Is he feeding well? He looks a little thin which will make his eyes pop out.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote