Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 
trumpet4life375

sticky fins? :(

my betta Xavier is a halfmoon, and i noticed the past couple days that his fins have been sticking together. like someone put gum in his fins and they are just all stuck together. i got him to flare and they were still stuck together. I cleaned and tested his water today and it is perfect. 0ppm for everything and he is extremely active and eats like a pig, lol. i dont know what is wrong with him though? should i be worried..what should i do? :( I will post pictures of how his fins look currently. remember he is a halfmoon.
Attached Images

trumpet4life375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

He might be clamping.

How long did you go before changing his old water? And what is the water temp?

If it's none of those issues, then maybe he's producing extra slime coat or just isn't feeling quite himself?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #3 
trumpet4life375

i change half of his water once a week. and the temperature is at 80 degrees...maybe hes just not feeling himself and i have to wait =/ idk..i hope hes okay..
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Sure he's an HM? He looks like a VT to me...
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

I agree, he looks like a VT. Is it just what the cup said? They're often mislabeled.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #6 
trumpet4life375

im postive because this is what he looked like when i first got him. i really hope hes not sick :( he seems to be acting normal. his water is perfect and i change it often. i hope he will be okay, i dont really know what to do :(
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Wow, Xavier is beautiful. Yup, he's an HM all right. Sadly, HMs are notorious for fin issues. My own HM guy now sports a lovely ruffled look because of his big fins.

In the first few pics, I see a lot of red on Xavier's fins. Is the red new? Some white bettas have splashes of color to them but if the red is a new thing, then it could be an indication of fin rot or septicemia.

What size tank is Xavier in? I see you have a heater, that's good because we can rule out him being cold or temperature fluctuations. How is his behavior otherwise? Does he eat, is he lethargic at all? What are your nitrates and your pH? Sorry for the question bombardment. But any info you can give us will definitely help us track down the problem with Xavier's fins.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #8 
trumpet4life375

he has always had that little splash of color. its just more noticeable in the first pictures because his fins are clamped. Xavier is in a 3-3.5 gallon tank that is heated and also has a bio-media filter. It keeps the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates from spiking (thank my bf for that :)) and i have a polishing pad on the bottom with holes in it to do a kind of mini-filter for the tank. his behavior otherwise is good, he is acitve and he eats like a pig still, and hes not really lethargic, i woke him up when he was sleeping tonight and he got pissed at me, lol. but other than that he is good. and his water his perfect. 0ppm on everything and his PH is at a normal level. do u think he has developed an overabundance on his slimecoat? idk, i just want him to be okay and look like he did when i first got him cuz his fins look so sad :(
Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #9 
Sakura8

You've got an awesome set up for Xavier. :)

The fact that he is active and still eating is a great sign and I'm glad the red is part of his normal coloring. That rules out fin rot for now. It's possible he has developed excess slime coat but I wonder why. Usually, the excess slime coat is in reaction to something in the water or to external parasites. Have you seen him rubbing on anything?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #10 
trumpet4life375

idk, he kinds started darting around tonight around plants, but i figured that it was because he was mad cuz i woke him up. and thanks for the compliment on his setup, i really try hard to give my betta's a great life :) but anyways, he was darting a little around plants tonight, but like i said i thought it was because i woke him up. but maybe its because of something else?? if his water is good, then it has to be some sort of parasite then, right? :(