Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #11 
Sakura8

If you shine a flashlight over him, especially his fins, you might be able to see if he has small off white dots or ich parasites on him. Not all fish who have ich rub on things. When my girls in my sorority got it, they didn't rub but they did clamp up right away.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #12 
trumpet4life375

oh god :((((( i think he has velvet......

he has gold flecks and patches all over his face and a bit on his fins when i shine a flashlight on him :(( what do i do???
trumpet4life375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Some bettas have gold iridescence, especially light colored bettas. Are you sure you've never seen the gold patches before? Another trick is to take a picture of the betta in the dark with the flash on. Supposedly the flash illuminates the velvet.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #14 
trumpet4life375

nvm, i think it is just his coloring...gosh idk whats wrong :(
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Whew. Well, that's good. Velvet can be pretty hard to kick. I do think if he had velvet, you'd see it quite well because he's white. He'd look like he was rolled in gold sand dust.

How long has he been this way? Can you think of anything different you may have done in the last few days?

For now, let's try putting him into 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and raise the heat to 84 degrees. If you have live plants in his tank, you'll need to use a hospital tank. If he has any parasites that we can't see, the AQ salt will chase them off. Change 100% of the water every day to get rid of any possible parasites and redose the salt for a week.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #16 
trumpet4life375

he just started this today and a little yesterday. i did aquarium salt today when i changed half to 3/4 of his water. and ill definatly kick the heat up to 84. and ill do the water changes as well. i just hope he will be okay. i guess i will do the water changes and do the aq. salt. btw, do i do the 1 tsp per gallon of the salt everyday?? or just like every couple days?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:32 AM   #17 
Sakura8

The easiest way to do the salt is to get a 1 gallon jug, like the kind spring water comes in. Fill it with dechlorinated water and add the amount of salt you need. When you do the water changes, take out as much water as you can without disrupting your cycle or, if you can, use a hospital tank. Keep track of the amount of water you take out and then pour in the amount of water from the jug. If you need more water, refill the jug with dechlorinated water and salt. This way, when you premake the water, you know that you will always have the required amount of salt. I hope that makes sense. I think I confused myself.

Hopefully this helps Xavier. If he spends some time in the salt mixture with no change, it may be something else and not external parasites. Then we'll need to try other alternatives for treatment.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #18 
trumpet4life375

what im asking is should i do the salt treatment everyday though?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Oh! Yes. Leave Xavier in the salt mixture around the clock. It'll be much more effective than short salt dips. :)
Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #20 
Sweeda88

Wow, I stand corrected. I've NEVER seen a case of clamping that bad. I don't know what to tell you since he seems healthy otherwise.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote