Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Teaching kids about reptiles! Fun day!

:) We got to have the fun opportunity to teach my mom's friend and her kids about reptiles! It was a blast and everyone was well behaved. They got to watch us feed guacamole earthworms and the older son got to hold one of the earthworms for him to grab out of his hand(which he loved)

Then we held the snakes. :) Only got pictures of them holding Nagini though. Even my mom held her!

I know these kids and their mom, they are already obsessed with reptiles(they have a crested gecko and two anoles) and are really begging their mom for a snake of some kind. Hehe.. I might have made them want a snake even more after this, this was their first time getting to hold and pet snakes.

We were right there off camera of course, ready to take the snake if we felt uncomfortable and could see the snakes were stressing out, and at first just had the kids holding/petting the back end of the snake, but they were brave little boys and did a really good job! :D They held them for the pictures and then we put the snakes back up and went back to talking.

We started telling them all the basic little facts about snakes, but they already knew a lot of it already. If they were old enough, I bet they'd join this forum ;) They have been a little TOO brave with wild snakes lately, trying to pick up ones they didn't know of, so we mainly were there to help reinforce that they shouldn't ever play with snakes out in the wild because we don't know what they are and they want to be left alone. It was fun though, I loved telling them about the types of snakes and showing nagini's cool orange/red tail and her pretty little 'mustache' and how all the snakes have different patterns. It's so funny to hear reptile knowledge come out of these kid's mouths. The older one is already upset that reptile toys never quite look like they should. He had a 'black mamba' rubber snake but was sad because it clearly had a python head shape and garter snake markings. So funny, cause it's true. Like all the iguana toys that have chameleon eyes.

Their mom and my mom were learning the most and they asked their own questions later and we talked about politics, snake sizes and dangers compared to other animals, what makes them constrict, and later their mom even asked me a little about rattlesnake roundups and if her kids would want to go to one, so I got to educate her on those things as well.

It was fun! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

How fun! I try to do this with my Tarantula, though it is a less "hands-on" experience.

I also do this with my Chihuahua, showing people they can be good with kids and very well trained. It is funny when I can get my "yappy" chihuahua to sit quietly and stay while I walk away and they can hardly hold onto their "perfect" "insert breed here"!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cool! How old are the boys? They look pretty comfortable with the snake.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

I think.. 4 and 6? Something like that, I'm terrible with ages. I know they look younger than they are, my mom always comments on that.

These kids LOVE reptiles XD they've been begging for a snake for ages. They were impressed with how heavy they were! That's what the little one's saying in the picture where he's looking down at Nagini!

I wouldn't be so comfortable letting them hold her if they were nervous about the snake. That's one sure way to get a snake hurt is to have a kid freak out and drop it!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I'm so jealous of those boys. Can I come over and play with the snakes? :p
I love the way snakes feel. Every time one of my work gigs coincides with the local reptile place's gigs, I spend more time gazing at the reptiles than I do making balloons.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is that a ball python?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

I've always been fascinated with snakes. I've never been afraid of them. I once went to some animal thing and got to hold one. Also, my brother tried to scare me one time by holding a Garter snake up close to me. I just reached out and petted it. It was so cute! My Grandmother has a mortal fear of snakes, though. I'm just not afraid of animals for the most part. I'm terrified of spiders, though.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

It's actually a young common boa :) We do have a ball python though!

I love the way snakes feel as well. It's incredible to watch their muscles work and feel them hold on to you without any arms or legs. They are so different, it's so fascinating. Very therapeutic!

Sweeda, I've always been afraid of spiders too! I want to give them a chance though, so I've been working on conquering my fears. I've gotten pretty good and really enjoy quite a few species of tarantula, so I am thinking of getting a few docile girls to help me get a little more comfortable around them!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not really a big snake lover but I've had the chance to learn about them thanks to some of our members here who keep snakes. We had a little garter snake in our garden in Colorado. He stayed pretty well hidden but my mom saw him once and a friend of ours who tended the garden saw him once.I named him Sneaky Snake after a children's song I learned in college. lol