Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #1 
RyuAndMoyashi

Question HELP? Fin issues whenever I leave!

I am the (very proud) owner of a lovely (punky) little half moon Betta named Tsuki no Ryu. Ryu has a tank mate (albino cory) named Moyashi. I love the two to death, but Ryu is making life difficult lately. I live on dorm and the last two breaks I left Ryu here under the care of suite-mates (with VERY detailed AND specific instructions - I'm a little OCD). First time I moved the tank out into the main room to make things easier on my suite-mates. When I came back my suite-mate said he refused food and shredded his fins. As soon as I came back he was back to his normal (gluttonous) self. His fins healed nicely. The second time I left, I left them in their normal spot (hoping it was all stress related). I return to hear he ate better, but AGAIN shredded his fins! His fins are healed up again, just in time for thanksgiving. This time no-one will here to keep an eye on my boys and so they will be taking the train home with me.
YET, for future issues can anyone tell me WHAT THE HECK I can do to discourage Ryu's self-mutilating tendencies?!?
He's happy and fine when I am around... The ONLY time I have trouble with fin "munching" is when I go away. He can't always travel with me. Please help.
RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #2 
emeraldsky

Sounds like he's fin biting out of boredom. I'm assuming your room mates dont interact with him like you do and the lack of attention is going into fin biting.

Before you leave, try rearranging his tank, he can explore it instead of ripping his fins out. Changes in surroundings make bettas set up their territory and keeps them busy for a bit.

May I ask how big your tank is?
Cories are schooling fish and are much happier in groups of 4+ i believe.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #3 
tlyons01

I will be keeping an eye on this thread for suggestions as well. I have a royal blue half moon that has lovely fins, until I moved him into a divided tank. After about a week he went to shredding/eating his fins. He has since healed up and was looking great, comparatively, and has been moved a time or two but always kept solo. I bought him a new 5 gallon last week, planted with sand and he was oh so happy. Then I added a background to his tank, and within and hour he started shredding his fins, though he was doing it behind the filter so at first I didn't know. Now he is a shredded mess. I guess he doesn't need to be provoked into flaring, cause that seems to be what triggers it for him.

Do you think maybe your caregivers might be agitating him? It sounds like what Emeraldsky said may be the issue. Hopefully for you that will work...Good luck and Happy Holidays!

I really think it sucks to have a fin biter. Mine was so easy going before all of this...:(
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #4 
Luimeril

reminds me of my copper Delta, Dante. when i was home, since i used to stay in my room alot on the computer, he'd be fine. when i'd go out, with friends, he'd DESTROY his tail.

the way i cured that, was putting more plants in his tank, and rearranging the decor at every water change. try that out. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #5 
RyuAndMoyashi

Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a try (the rearranging). I don't believe my suite-mates do interact with the little bugger as much as I do... They have a lot of demands of their own. Since I'm busy working on my thesis, I spend conspicuous amounts of time at my desk (and therefor quite a bit distractedly chating and what-not with Ryu an Moyashi... My friends say I spoil them rotten) Unfortunately (due to regulations on campus) my boys are stuck with a 2 gallon tank. Next semester I should be able to work from home and therefor update to a 5 gallon tank. Right now Moyashi is on his lonesome, but after a day with Ryu seemed to become calm and happy (though anything was a step up for both of them considering their living conditions where I bought them). When I upgrade my tank I plan on getting a few more Corys so Moy can school.
RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin eating, fin shredding, leaving your betta, stress, travel