Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #1 
etanico

What to do following the death of a fish? :(

I searched for other threads related to this, but I couldn't seem to find any.
My fish died about two days ago. He was already floating in a QT container, so none of his remains are in the main, 5 gallon tank.
I have another Betta, but he's in a small, inadequate tank. I'd like to know how I go about transferring him to the new one. I had to remove the filter when my other fish was sick, so I'll already have to re-cycle. But is it okay if I empty all of the water, remove the gravel for cleaning, and thoroughly clean the tank (without soap, obviously)?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Since you'd be re-cycling the tank, you could technically take the gravel out and such. I'd say a good rinse in hot hot water would be good.

Depending on the illness you make want to mix in a little vinegar in too to get rid of everything.

Another way is rinse with hot hot water and let it sit in direct sunlight to dry for a few hours.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Yes, you can take everything out and clean it well.
Use hot water and maybe some vinegar to soak the decorations, let dry for a few days and reuse.
Best of luck with your future fish!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

I'm gonna say this: Use hot water really hot water and vinegar regardless. I was told when I first started out after I lost my first two to clean the tanks out and everything in hot water and vinegar. It disinfects everything.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #5 
Brian10962001

Take this with a grain of salt, but when I wash my tanks, i WASH them. I spray them down with CLR (possibly the most caustic evil substance on earth) scrub them with a scotch bright, spray them for several minutes with a hose, then scratch any stubborn spots off with a razor.

I avoid using chemicals in the gravel, but you need to wash gravel like there's no tomorrow! I'm talking 2 cups of it at a time in a strainer, and physically wash it with your hands until everything is out of it. I had some old gravel I recycled once and I thought I had washed it well, i was wrong! Every time I vacced my gravel I got chunks of crap from it and it caused a bloom of bacteria in my tank! I had to level everything and start again. Your best friends when washing a tank are your garden hose, scotch bright, and so long as it's glass a pack of box cutter razors (it's way easier to get these than the old style razors but they work too). It makes life so much easier than trying to wash it in a tub or a sink.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

I absolutely love that Brian has a crap load of dedication when cleaning a tank ^.^ The only thing I think would vary is a scotch bright. The reason why, is because I'm sure it would depend on the tank you're using. I used one for my 1.5g, which was plastic, and it scratched the hell out of it on the inside -.- And that's just asking for trouble when it comes to little particles of god knows what gunking up in places I won't be able to really get.. I have a 5g, which is acryllic, so I know it scratches easily, too.... I think if you have something that isn't glass, you should go with something that scrubs, but a bit less abrassive. I've been using a toothbrush on my acryllic and it seems to work out fantastically with no scratches! >.> but that is only my own opinion, I just felt I should throw that in there...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #7 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
I absolutely love that Brian has a crap load of dedication when cleaning a tank ^.^ The only thing I think would vary is a scotch bright. The reason why, is because I'm sure it would depend on the tank you're using. I used one for my 1.5g, which was plastic, and it scratched the hell out of it on the inside -.- And that's just asking for trouble when it comes to little particles of god knows what gunking up in places I won't be able to really get.. I have a 5g, which is acryllic, so I know it scratches easily, too.... I think if you have something that isn't glass, you should go with something that scrubs, but a bit less abrassive. I've been using a toothbrush on my acryllic and it seems to work out fantastically with no scratches! >.> but that is only my own opinion, I just felt I should throw that in there...
YES for sure, no scotch bright for acrylic/plastic! I've made that mistake in the past. I suppose I should have put it and the razor under the glass only warning ;). Toothbrush is a great idea, I don't have any plastic tanks, haven't for a while now so I forget about these things from time to time.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
YES for sure, no scotch bright for acrylic/plastic! I've made that mistake in the past. I suppose I should have put it and the razor under the glass only warning ;). Toothbrush is a great idea, I don't have any plastic tanks, haven't for a while now so I forget about these things from time to time.
Heehee, I figured you just weren't thinking about it ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #9 
etanico

And what should I do with my snail and live plant with the gravel and water gone?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

A tupper ware could safely house them in a sort of quarantine. I wouldn't do any epsom salt since I don't know how snails do with it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote