Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #11 
etanico

The problem is, my Java Fern plant has established a pretty solid root system, under the gravel. Would it be harmful to the plant if I trim this back?
etanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #12 
Thunderloon

WHAT killed your dead betta?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #13 

you can also wash and dissinfect everything with bleach diluted in water...however it is critical, to soak everything washed in bleach, submerged in water mixed with PRIME. Prime is a heavy metal de-chlorinator sold at local fish stores and probably petco.

that being said i always replace the gravel and filter media and never attempt to dissinfect. not that it cant be done just i never had the confidence it could be done effectively.
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #14 

if you decide to tear the tank down...java fern is pretty hardy stuff. you could pull it, toss it in a bucket of tap water, dechlorinated for a couple of days and just re-plant it. should do just fine. before re-planting though sterilize the plants...

quoted from another forum;

[quote; DarkCobra- Planted Tank Forums]

"Bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and potassium permanganate have all been used as plant dips with varying degrees of success.

Concentrations and soak times vary. There isn't a perfect protocol - no dip will remove 100% of all hitchhikers and still be 100% safe for all plants.

I prefer hydrogen peroxide to the other two, as it's the least harmful if some of it gets into your tank. I use 1 part 3% (common drugstore) peroxide, 5 parts water. Soak for 4 minutes, stirring the plant around to make sure it all gets exposed."

you can also use bleach at 20:1 ratio i think it is. then re-dip the plants in fresh water de-chlorinated with Prime before putting back in tank.

Last edited by 909; 11-12-2011 at 09:47 PM.
909 is offline   Reply With Quote