Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #11 
GreenTea

All of this is why it's best to spend NO MONEY on ANYTHING at wal mart. There are always other options - craigslist, consignment stores, online, doing it yourself, hiring someone local to do it, salvation army, classifieds section in papers or websites like this one. Your money just goes to an oligarchical company who supports the idea of low to no quality of life for the benefit of profit. They do not give a care in the world for the children who sew the garmets they sell, the fish dying in their tanks, or the employees barely scraping by on their low wages.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #12 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
all of this is why it's best to spend no money on anything at wal mart. There are always other options - craigslist, consignment stores, online, doing it yourself, hiring someone local to do it, salvation army, classifieds section in papers or websites like this one. Your money just goes to an oligarchical company who supports the idea of low to no quality of life for the benefit of profit. They do not give a care in the world for the children who sew the garmets they sell, the fish dying in their tanks, or the employees barely scraping by on their low wages.
+1000
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #13 
tlyons01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post

Not to be an enabler, but...even with your current stocking, 15 females would only slightly overstock you. With one 50% change a week, you'd still be sweet.
I had been meaning to sit and figure out the stocking situation of my tank, as it is right now though, I am already slightly overstocked by about 15(gallons per inch). I do have 2 filters running, but together that would just rate my tank for 60 gallons. Its also does not have enough hidey places currently for that many girls. Plus I really can't justify the extra $50 or so on new fish to my husband, who doesn't "get" my addiction! Sure makes me want to make a plan to rescue them though...

Do you guys think I really could get away with that many in my tank setup? It's fully cycled and I plan to rehome some of the baby corys when they get a little bigger, so that would eventually reduce my stock....?

OMGoodness, I am already plotting..I have a serious problem
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
I had been meaning to sit and figure out the stocking situation of my tank, as it is right now though, I am already slightly overstocked by about 15(gallons per inch). I do have 2 filters running, but together that would just rate my tank for 60 gallons. Its also does not have enough hidey places currently for that many girls. Plus I really can't justify the extra $50 or so on new fish to my husband, who doesn't "get" my addiction! Sure makes me want to make a plan to rescue them though...

Do you guys think I really could get away with that many in my tank setup? It's fully cycled and I plan to rehome some of the baby corys when they get a little bigger, so that would eventually reduce my stock....?

OMGoodness, I am already plotting..I have a serious problem
I would never use the inch per gallon rule on any fish except maybe tetras. Then again, I just hate it because it leads to such much innacurate stocking from people who don't understand it - not you, just people in general. I go by AqAdvisor for a rough idea then double-check it against what I know of fish in general. Also, you've got to take into account stuff like your filter and live plants. For instance, I am pretty overstocked with ten tetras, 3 cories, 6 bettas and a bunch of shrimp in my 16 gallon but everyone has enough food, enough hiding spaces, my water changes are frequent and I have an excellent filter. I'm even more overstocked if you use the inch per gallon rule...I dread to think what it all adds up to. :p But I know the bioload of each of my fish and I know I can get away with it.

According to AqAdvisor, with your current stocking you'd be 60% stocked if your tank was a 40g. With the girls, you'd be 105%. That's not taking into account your filter.

The money, of course, I can't help you with. :p Coffee cups from charity shops are a good hiding place, but of course they don't provide a lot of high-up cover.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #15 
tlyons01

HAHA, yeah I have been thinking about this on and off all day. Good thing I have not felt well today, I need to get to the store and if it had been today, I would have had to answer to the man about it. Thanks for looking into the stocking thing,I had used that site once before but couldn't remember what it was, hurts my head to think too much today (sinus infection) I was also giving my corys 3 inches each, mature, but I think they may be only 2 inches max. I can't remember that either... I do have ornaments and plants that aren't being used currently, small clay pots too. Like you said though, that would only be ground cover. I also have 2 floating betta logs. I might be able to swing it.. Once I get over this headache, I am going to give it some thought.

I was stocking this tank slowly, then we had babies and my second try at it, I was able to raise some. I have 9 now, the biggest being almost an inch. Had to rethink who was living in the tank when I decided to move them back to it. The first time they spawned, Fred had a delicious meal! I decided then he needed to be moved..

Have your cories ever spawned? I can't seem to get mine to stop!! Its insane, but they go at it almost every day, and have been since mid summer..Its been like 4 months or so now. There are almost a dozen eggs in there right now that are close to hatching. So funny. I have determined that I have 4 females and 2 males, of the adults.

Again, thanks for your advice and I am considering it. Maybe I can sneak them in this week while the hubby is out of town!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

Lol, I'm sorry for being such an enabler! I love to live vicarious fishy dreams. :p

My cories have never spawned - I think my tank is too warm and the footprint not large enough, plus my shrimp, snails and bettas would probably eat any eggs that were laid. However, if I inherit my sister's tank in summer I would love to give it a go, and maybe get a breeding pair of killifish too. My local aquarium club really encourage new breeders, especially young ones, so I'd have a lot of support from them. :)

I'm very jealous of the amount yours are spawning! It must be so exciting. :)
Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #17 
Mars788

Dol's a walmart rescue...and the only things preventing me from going out and rescuing every one of those poor little babies are $$$ (broke college student syndrome) and knowing I just don't have space for 'em right now :(
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #18 
GreenTea

If you buy more you just support their cruelty, they dont care if the fish die as they get money either way, they just get more from you.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #19 
tlyons01

Mars788, I am with you on that. I'm not a college student, but none the less its hard for me to justify spending the extra money that could be for groceries and what not when I already have 5 tanks up and running. I am proud of my 2 walmart rescues as they are both very beautiful now :)

Greentea, you make a very valid point. On the other hand, they will never be run out of business no matter if we choose to boycott them or not. Somehow, I always end up back at walmart even when trying to avoid them for one reason or another. Heck, the city where I live, we have 4 of them. They are all super walmarts too! But yes, even if I were to rescue those that are there, there will always be more cared for the same way by the stores... If only there were a way to get through to them.. Its such a shame
Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #20 
Bombalurina

I think the most effective way to deal with Walmart is either:
a) boycotting and telling everybody and raising a huge fuss
b) rescuing every fish you possibly can and asking all your friends to do so, whilst again raising a huge fuss

Either way, your patronage or lack thereof won't be noticed unless you kick up a hullaballoo.