Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #21 
Arashi Takamine

I know that even though they were WalMart fish I'd never trade anything for the time I had with my Aki and Maka. I miss them both terribly but I loved and still love them so much the strange diseases that killed them were worth fighting for them.

If I could...I'd still try to rescue WalMart fish. I know another is just gonna replace it but guys...Look at your favorite betta and ask yourself: "If they were in WalMart would I really leave them there just to prove a point?" Why punish them? The real victims?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #22 
LionCalie

Stop the demand and they will end the supply.

There are many Walmart's that have stopped selling fish all together because of so many complaints. So yes, boycotting can and does make a difference. Also, some Walmart stores (depends on the manager and how convincing you can be) will give you sick/dying Betta fish free of charge. I have done it myself on more than one occasion.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #23 
mjoy79

I don't get why only some Wal Marts have stopped but others continue. You would think it would be a company-wide decision to stop sellilng them since they get so many complaints.
I don't think WalMarts in the DFW area sell fish at all but I might need to double check that. I haven't seen fish in a walmart in years - but I usually avoid Walmart unless its an emergency or I have a moment of insanity.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #24 
purplemuffin

The walmarts in DFW (at least some of them) still do sell bettas. I just saw some the other day!

Some walmarts don't even sell fish supplies--because no one buys them, it costs more to keep them on the shelves than it would make them lose money to stop carrying them. It's all about complaints as well as, well, how many get sold. As most of y'all know, other than betta lovers, most people don't buy the extremely sick fish(they look gross and depressing to people who think of them as decor)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #25 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
The walmarts in DFW (at least some of them) still do sell bettas. I just saw some the other day!

Some walmarts don't even sell fish supplies--because no one buys them, it costs more to keep them on the shelves than it would make them lose money to stop carrying them. It's all about complaints as well as, well, how many get sold. As most of y'all know, other than betta lovers, most people don't buy the extremely sick fish(they look gross and depressing to people who think of them as decor)
well shoot. Maybe I should go see if they do at the ones near me and make a complaint
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #26 
tlyons01

I have to add to this rant, that the other day I was browsing through walmart without the kiddos, and decided to scoot through the fish/pet area. I was extremely happy to see that they have replaced the Betta females into the original cups. After seeing those 15 girls, I went there about 1-2 weeks after, and they were ALL gone, the tank was sitting empty and I just knew that they all died. Unless someone had the same reaction that I did and bought them all. But now seeing that they are back to using the cups, makes me thing for sure that the girls died. I do hate to see them in the cups, so much but I hated seeing them with no place to hide and no where to run in a big tank more. At least they did something about it, instead of just replacing them. I did see across town at another walmart, incidentally they have their girls in a tank but at least with a few plants, that they covered an entire end cap with male bettas again. There were at least 50-75 of them sitting there on the shelf
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #27 
EmmaliLucia

When it comes to the Walmart problem, I absolutely hate to be the one to suggest this but....

Sometimes if you have a big bag, a bigger heart, no money and no tolerance for animal cruelty then you got to save those fish. >.>
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #28 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
When it comes to the Walmart problem, I absolutely hate to be the one to suggest this but....

Sometimes if you have a big bag, a bigger heart, no money and no tolerance for animal cruelty then you got to save those fish. >.>
I dont think suggesting criminal acts is the best way to go. If you can't spare a few dollars on a fish at walmart then you probably can't afford to care for them properly once you get them home.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #29 
Tikibirds

My walmart has very pretty bettas when they first come in, and unlike some stores they only have about 30 total. But yeah, their conditions deterioate rapidly. Most of my fish are sympathy purchases from walmart. I don't regret it though. And I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when they are all healed up and turn out beautiful

The last one I got had an ammonia level that turned the water almost black and had the begining of ick. I only got her because on two visits my BF pointed her out and he NEVER points out fish. I figured it was a sign. Now she is all happy and no more ick.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-01-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #30 
EmmaliLucia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
If you can't spare a few dollars on a fish at walmart then you probably can't afford to care for them properly once you get them home.
It has nothing to do with whether or not I can afford to take care of them, my two bettas are the most spoiled fish in the northwest.

Yes stealing animals is dumb, but to continue to support a company that is pretty much straight up bad news is pretty stupid too.

Like LionCalie said, not all managers are heartless, you can talk them into giving you some sick betta for free, nurse it back to health, and have what turns out to be an awesome little companion.
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote