Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #1 
PixelatedPaint

Can someone please help me ID the color class this betta falls into?

Hello! I just came back from my local Pets unlimited and I brought home two bettas. Now one I know is a solid orange VT, but the other's category eludes me. He is a VT. The pictures kind of dull the colors out but here is a description.

Body is a chocolate and teal iridescent color. Fins are like Orange dalmatian ( Light to med orange with darker orange spots. They are also outlined? with chocolate fading to blue fading to orange and spots. Anyways I was just curious.

Also, he just came back today so he hasn't fully started to stretch yet. If anyone is wondering why the clay pot is like that, its to weaken the current from the filter.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I'm new.xD

Here he is! ( He doesn't have a name yet so suggestions please!) The camera and lighting washes out some of their colors. The oranges are very bright and the blue like the blue on a peacock.

OH and here is my Orange betta. His name is Sir pumpkin. Again with the horrid lighting. His name suggests his color. It is the same as the pumpkin in our kitchen.

PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I THINK he's a mustard gas. I'm not 100% positive.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #3 
PixelatedPaint

I kinda thought that too but I though mustard gas was more of a yellower and bluer kind of thing. His is mixed with brown and his tail is spotted. :o Which is why I'm stumped. Do Mustard Gas' consist of more than just yellow and blues? Sorry but I'm a newbie which I'm sure is obvious.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I really don't know much about color either. Mustard gas is just my guess. Sorry.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #5 
GunsABlazin

Might he be a chocolate?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

could be a chocolate if the body is all brown with butter yellow fins, but i think he's got too much blue on him to be a true chocolate. I think he's a mustard gas, anything with a dark body (blue, black, purple, teal, green) and yellow/orange fins can be classified as a mustard gas. he's gorgeous, and i really like your orange boy!!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

He is definitely a MG (Mustard Gas) VT male. And a beauty at that. Also the
Orange male is a fantastic color as well! Great Bettas! Good Luck, and we are here if you need us:).

P.S.
Chocolate isn't a color classification for bettas. It just more of a "nickname" It would be like saying an all yellow and tinted orange betta is a 'Banana Pumpkin'

-BL2033

Last edited by bettalover2033; 11-19-2011 at 04:59 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #8 
PixelatedPaint

Thanks everyone! The advice really helped! I'll go with mustard gas for now. I don't know what to call him yet though.

Thanks Indy, I love my bettas!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #9 
PixelatedPaint

Thanks bettalover! I plan on trying to breed them this winter, so I will need a lot of advice and support. I have several 20 and 10 gallon tanks still empty waiting to be used. I'm so glad I found a place with so many people who love bettas as well!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedPaint View Post
Thanks bettalover! I plan on trying to breed them this winter, so I will need a lot of advice and support. I have several 20 and 10 gallon tanks still empty waiting to be used. I'm so glad I found a place with so many people who love bettas as well!
Well before you breed, myself and many members will agree that you will need to have done A LOT of research. It takes quite a while to understand the betta fish behavior toward one another and just on its own. Breeding should be taken seriously, and not something that is just to see how it works. Of course practice makes perfect but please read and learn to at least know what you are doing.

And of course myself and many other members are here to help, but it does get a little irritating to see a new member come in and just say that they are going to breed or are breeding and asking many of us (including me) to give them step by step procedures that they should have known before breeding and need to know in order to breed and have a successful spawn.

Breeding is also not cheap at all so you should expect to spend at least around the $100 mark and that is just if you are lucky enough to find a worthy pair and other equipment.

So please do your research and learn how to breed, (the steps), different methods, what a 'quality fish' is, what is expected in a spawn, diseases and how to treat them, ect.

I can go on and on about how much and what you need to know when it comes to breeding. These fish can handle a lot, but with careless owners/breeders, they will suffer and die. I have seen many bettas go through this horrid process and some just suffer from the mistakes from the owners. It is just the hard truth and I wont stand for nonsense and careless mistakes.

Please dont take this the wrong way. I am not saying that you specifically are at these standards, but that if you dont do the research and things that you need to do you will fall under these standards. I believe that anyone can breed, but can they breed the right way is the big question.

The site that I recommend at the most without a doubt to give you the tip top facts and info is www.bettysplendens.com

It has (how to breed) and other info like the genetics of them and what you 'could' get out of a pair. Also you can ask members including (I) to look at a site and tell you if it is legit and the info isn't wrong.

Good Luck and Warm Regards,

-BettaLover2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote