Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #11 
onefiveoneone

Well, they have finished and the female has already been moved to a quarantine tank since she got beat up fairly badly. I did have a snail (I think it was an apple snail) but my male Betta just didn't like him. He flared and sort of pecked at him (my male is pretty aggressive!) I do have a sponge filter though.

I'm not quite sure if those eggs are infertile but he was (and still is) ignoring them. DO you think it would be wise to add a bit of stress coat into the water?

Aw thanks! In my mind, they are beautiful but they're sort of rescued fish. In the store, my babies had lived in jars - LITERALLY .. All had the worst fin rot I had ever seen.

Plus he's just a veil tail which is fairly common but I think he's amazing, :)
He actually looks exactly like the one in your avatar! Even the same red detailing in his anal fin. He's gorgeous by the way ;)
onefiveoneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #12 
Gloria

Awww, I hope she is ok.. I was lucky my female didn't really get too badly beat up.
Oh wow, all of my guys have LOVED snails.. When you take dad out, if you do, chuck the snail in, it helps, plus that way the fry will be used to them.
He may pick up the eggs eventually. Mine did that, left the ones on the ground til last and then put them in the nest, but then again they may be infertile. I would leave it for now and take them out later when it's safer to slightly disturb the water.
Um. I cant see the harm in adding any, but you dont want to mess with the water too much. I am still VERY new at this, just did my first spawn (fry are nearly 4 weeks) so don't hang on every word I say, others will eventually look in and help. Just sometimes have to be most patient than others..

I am sure they ARE beautiful and if they are rescued fish, even better, goes to show your a good owner if they are healing!

The male I spawned was a VT. VT's are VERY nice Bettas.. They aren't as appreciated as they should be.

thank you. He is no longer with us. Good to know he had a 'twin' out there to keep someone else happy.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 
onefiveoneone

Thank you, she's actually doing very very well. Her fins were ripped straight down the middle to her body when I took her out but they've actually healed up already. Good old aquarium salt.
Oh yeah, that's a good idea. *mental note for the future.
I didn't end up adding any stress coat to the water since I was worried about messing about with the water.

OOOH! Any pictures/spawn logs?

I know! I think Veil-tails are beautiful!

Aw, that's too bad. At least he spent his last moments in a nice tank with a nice owner :)

Oh and just to update,
I woke up this morning to find that the bubble nest was completely destroyed. I'm assuming he didn't maintain the nest properly during the night (I kept the light on though).
Now he's super sulky, staying at the bottom, sometimes coming up to the Styrofoam cup and just staying there with what's left of the bubbles, clamped fins.

I can't see any of the eggs at all - on the floor of the tank or in the bubblenest.
Should I take Dad out? He looks VERY ill. He won't even flare anymore ):

Oh and also, thank you so much for all of your help :)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #14 
GreenTea

Yeah I'd take dad out, he may have eaten the eggs and/or they might not have been correctly fertilized, that's what happened with my first spawn. It's very disappointing, better luck next time.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #15 
onefiveoneone

AW, that's too bad, ):
Oh well, I guess I should focus on Dad now. My poor baby is losing colour.
Well thanks for your help :)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #16 
Gloria

I am so sorry to hear that the nest was destroyed and dad isn't doing too well.. I hope you give breeding another try though.. I hope both mum and dad recover and you can try again..
Keep us posted and let us know how things are going!
Best of luck.

My spawn log, with LOTS of pictures: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=83694
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry things didn't work out. I'm wondering if your male is sick since he's not looking good and didn't tend the nest.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #18 
onefiveoneone

Hello! Sorry for the super late replies. I've been studying for exams, ):
Gloria! NAW, your fry are so cute! Especially the littlest one.

Aw, that's alright Dramaqueen. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
I quarantined him afterwards and put in some stress coat. His fins were really clamped up and he wasn't swimming at all but after some treats, he was fine.
He's flaring, tapping at the glass and swimming around in circles.

Thank you all for your advice and comments :)
I'm thinking of trying again in 2 months or so.
I shall make a spawn log then.
Bye for now!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #19 
tpocicat

Sorry your spawn didn't work out. It happens to all of us one time or another. Just keep the faith!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #20 
onefiveoneone

Naw, thank you tpocicat! :)
I'm conditioning my babies for another 2 weeks and I'm trying again after my exams.
Hopefully, everything turns out okay.
I'll keep you posted!