Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #1 
skittles

Appears healthy but won't touch food?

Hey there, I'm new to this forum and I thought it'd be the right place to fire my question away!

I did a water change for my betta a few days ago (in which I did it the same way i've been doing it for the past 8 months, nothing has changed in the routine) and ever since, my betta will hardly touch the pellets I feed him!
I'm not sure what's going on, but he appears completely normal (very bright colours, large, fanned out fins, black beady eyes, no bloating) and his behaviour is quite normal (big bubble nests, swimming around, etc).
I usually feed him 2-4 pellets a day, with a break at least once a week. Every time I threw pellets in lately, he'd eat 1 and completely ignore the remaining ones until they get soggy and I have to fish them out. Usually he'd go nuts and eat all the pellets all at once and had no problem eating 4 at a time. Is anything wrong with my guy? Maybe I should change his food up a bit? Or let him fast for 2 days?
skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #2 
Myates

What is the temp of the tank? When they get too cold their metabolism will slow down and they will eat less. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. Mine do that sometimes as well.

Once he is feeling better, I would up his feeding to 4-6 pellets a day, spread between 2+ meals minimum (2-3 pellets per meal). It sounds as if you are feeding just once a day, and that could be unhealthy- 2 is rather too low for feeding per day and he may not be getting the proper nutrition, and 4 at once is a lot and if not careful could cause bloating as the pellets will expand in their stomachs. It is always best to feed small, multiple meals throughout the day rather then just one.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote