Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #11 
Pataflafla

I had a plan from the start (However unexpected the start was and however that plan backfired). I wanted to be able to keep all of my betta(s) in my room.

I only expected to get 1 (Ratchet). Then I got Moonshoes because his spawn brothers were taken, but not him. Then I got Mirage and Starscream (Mirage had been there for over a month and his spawn brothers were all taken long before I decided to bring him home. Starscream would have drowned in his cup from how weak he was). Sabino was the last (And the one that broke my plan for the most part since she's in my sister's room in the sorority).

I still managed to keep all of my boys in my room as well as one of my sister's aggressive females.

I don't like the twice divided 10 gallon, so once that female gets a tank of her own, I'm taking out 1 divider, meaning one less space for me to fill.

Basically what worked for me was saying no to my sister for a month while she got the betta bug, and then trying desperately to stick to my plan. Now, whenever I go to the store, I assess the bettas and if she wants to bring one home, I question her on where she's going to keep it, can she handle the financial burden (She's goign through nursing school right now), can she handle the extra time for water changes, can she get that fish a suitable tank as well as getting the female I'm keeping for her one. In the end, she realizes that she can't handle that much and declines reluctantly.

Keep in mind if the betta itself is savable, do you have the time and finances to put into it if it gets very ill or is constantly sick, do you have a suitable space for it, and will you be able to practice good husbandry for it, and do you really want/need it.

You, unfortunately, cannot save them all.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #12 
Kytkattin

I am maxed out at 3. I am super jealous of all the people on this website that get to have 5, 10, 50. lol. I just try to do my best with the few that I have, knowing I can take really good care of them by not stretching myself too thin.

I also really only want a giant/king betta for my next fish, and while I do have a 20 gallon that could use a fish, I can't actually put that tank anywhere right now as I am already over my permitted number of tanks in a dorm. However, just a little less than 2 years from now, you know darn well that is going to be my next fish! (well, that is not true, I don't expect Smaug to be around in 2 years and I will want to have a fish for that half of the tank, but half of a 5 gallon tank is not big enough for a king)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
I had a plan from the start (However unexpected the start was and however that plan backfired). I wanted to be able to keep all of my betta(s) in my room.

I only expected to get 1 (Ratchet). Then I got Moonshoes because his spawn brothers were taken, but not him. Then I got Mirage and Starscream (Mirage had been there for over a month and his spawn brothers were all taken long before I decided to bring him home. Starscream would have drowned in his cup from how weak he was). Sabino was the last (And the one that broke my plan for the most part since she's in my sister's room in the sorority).

I still managed to keep all of my boys in my room as well as one of my sister's aggressive females.

I don't like the twice divided 10 gallon, so once that female gets a tank of her own, I'm taking out 1 divider, meaning one less space for me to fill.

Basically what worked for me was saying no to my sister for a month while she got the betta bug, and then trying desperately to stick to my plan. Now, whenever I go to the store, I assess the bettas and if she wants to bring one home, I question her on where she's going to keep it, can she handle the financial burden (She's goign through nursing school right now), can she handle the extra time for water changes, can she get that fish a suitable tank as well as getting the female I'm keeping for her one. In the end, she realizes that she can't handle that much and declines reluctantly.

Keep in mind if the betta itself is savable, do you have the time and finances to put into it if it gets very ill or is constantly sick, do you have a suitable space for it, and will you be able to practice good husbandry for it, and do you really want/need it.

You, unfortunately, cannot save them all.
Was the last part to me or in general? Haha 6 of the 12 I have were sick when they came home. I have no issues treating sick fish, as I have stock saved in most medicines due to my tropical tanks. We're ok financial wise, I'm a stay at home Mom so I have time. Space is an issue, only because I am running out of practical places for tanks lol I,like the boys in the living room, and I'd have to remove a sofa for a Betta wall if I get another 10g. I have lots of space in my bedroom though.

Am I the only one who thinks 6 boys and a sorority (3 10gs) isn't a lot of bettas?

Good news though, my local breeder will have Blue Dragon Butterfly HMs for sale next spring. May upgrade to a 20gL and get more girls.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #14 
Pataflafla

Last part is an in general. Didn't mean to direct it at you. Late at night where I am, so I'm not my sharpest. I just have to use that as a reminder to my sister and myself since the only places we can get bettas without having them shipped is Walmart, Petsmart, and a terrible local pet store (The betta cups are 1/3 the size of the small Walmart ones), so they're pretty much all sick no matter what.

I don't think you have too large a number. My sister and I combined have 17 (6 girls though).

I always have to ask my sister where she would fit another tank since every open space is taken up basically. She's got 10 gallons of water on her computer desk, 12 on her dresser, 10 on a side table, and 4 on an old bookshelf. She's got 9 tanks in her room already. I, on the other hand, only have 3 (Not going above that).

It's good that you have the time and finances, but space is always an issue with tanks. If you feel you're up to par for another betta, technically there's nothing stopping you.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #15 
Bambi

I just tell myself i can't provide a good home for it because i don't have room for every betta that gives me puppy dogs eyes.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #16 
ShyDog

Maybe in a dorm, not so much in a house. I like to think of tank size when I start thinking about more fish. I set up a community tank to enjoy having more fish in general, and i'm quite happy with my two guys (one is in a 5 gallon, the other is in a 1.5 gallon cause of his issues)

It's all about where you want to put them really, I wanted FW on my desk, Falcor by my bed and the girls on the Dry Sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post

Am I the only one who thinks 6 boys and a sorority (3 10gs) isn't a lot of bettas?
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #17 
Littlebittyfish

If you have the time,space, and a way to provide proper care I would bring him home...I have 10 males now and that is my limit for now because I have no more tanks for another betta..(until I get my 20 gallon up and running anyway lol)unless I divided my one 10 gallon but I dont think that would be fair to my fish whos lived there in his 10 gallon un divided....I may get another betta once I get my other tanks up and running and figured out though...I will have a 5 gallon empty then. ..But I am waiting until I get that tank up and running again and figue out where I want to put it before I get another betta...In the past I have bought bettas I had fallen in love with and then worked on setting upthe tanks later and that was sort of stressful because I have issues finding supplies locally sometimes..haha..Now I have it set in my head that I want a certain type of betta..Because I will only have space for one more betta..so I am not just picking out any fish to bring home...I am being picky this time..lol..but if i absolutely fell in love with a certain betta...I would probably bring him home....I guess I probably dont have the "betta addiction" under control though...haha...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #18 
GreenTea

After my initial betta bug where I had to have every tail type and color I could find, I just decided to focus on my favorite tail type, hmpk, and hmpk giants. Then I picked pairs I know would be good breeding pairs, set an allowance (turns out that part was irrelevant!,) and carefully picked each female and then looked for a good male counterpart.

I wanted to try a sorority, as I felt comfortable enough with bettas and behaviors to establish one. That went beautifully, and so I've moved onto my ultimate goal of being a breeder in the US. It makes it really easy not to buy any thinking about the water changes that will come with fry! So for me, I guess it's just having a plan or goal with my flock. Otherwise it's easy for me to get distracted and what if, you know?

It kind of does sound you have the time, money, resources and desire to care for him, but getting a breeding pair next summer would be amazing! And who knows, maybe there's someone new in your area you've never met that's crazy about bettas too and will give him a great life, or even a decent one, one better than dying in a cup. I know how hard it is to stop obsessing though, especially when you find one you adore!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #19 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
After my initial betta bug where I had to have every tail type and color I could find, I just decided to focus on my favorite tail type, hmpk, and hmpk giants. Then I picked pairs I know would be good breeding pairs, set an allowance (turns out that part was irrelevant!,) and carefully picked each female and then looked for a good male counterpart.

I wanted to try a sorority, as I felt comfortable enough with bettas and behaviors to establish one. That went beautifully, and so I've moved onto my ultimate goal of being a breeder in the US. It makes it really easy not to buy any thinking about the water changes that will come with fry! So for me, I guess it's just having a plan or goal with my flock. Otherwise it's easy for me to get distracted and what if, you know?

It kind of does sound you have the time, money, resources and desire to care for him, but getting a breeding pair next summer would be amazing! And who knows, maybe there's someone new in your area you've never met that's crazy about bettas too and will give him a great life, or even a decent one, one better than dying in a cup. I know how hard it is to stop obsessing though, especially when you find one you adore!
I hear you on the plan thing, I do have a plan in motion here it's just not going anywhere at the moment. I've been researching and trying to get enough information on breeding, I have my trio already but I'm not feeling like it's the right time for me to start. I fight with myself daily! Some days I'm all for it as I sit in my 2nd bathroom looking at the set up, other days I think it wouldn't be so great as Bettas are not a well sought after fish around here. I have a lot on my plate as is. So for now, that plan is on hold. My previous plan was a sorority, I planned that one well! I decided to get 3 from a breeder that were older and always together, and then picked up two submissive females at the pet store. Luckily our pet store houses the females together so you can watch them. My sorority is working out amazingly as everyones personalities match their roles in the tank. I feel confident in my betta care though, and I have a system for everything here. Days of the week are numbered for certain animals and it allows me to give them the care they need. I'd be in hot water if I didn't keep it organized that's for sure!

I did end up taking him home, this week drove me crazy and he was the only one left tonight. Thankfully I did, the last time I left a betta behind and returned for her... it was too late and she died at home :( This time, he's in rough shape but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before.

I'll say it now though, I'M DONE! Well until next summer anyways!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #20 
bettalover2033

Ya know what, that is one of the most beautiful posing pictures i have seen. Its so simple and thats what makes it 'Art'.

Flawless male you have there as well!

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote