Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #21 
elijahfeathers

I hit a point where I'd purchased too many fish who just didn't work out for one reason or another... sickly, not what I expected when I got them home, ect. I also was feeling like I was buying fish for color-- for example I bought a lovely white dragon with red fins... he was a doubletail PK. But I don't really like doubletails that much. He turned out to be really sickly, too-- and after a few months of being the most sad, lazy fish I'd ever seen, he died.

The other part is.. I see all these lovely fish on aquabid and stuff-- and some fish look great in the light and all. But they don't look as good in a tank setting. Sure, a fish like the one in your first post is GORGEOUS. But it won't look half as vibrant in an in-home tank with lighting from overhead (as opposed to strong lighting from many directions). A photoshoot is different from what something looks like irl.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #22 
Pitluvs

My avitar?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #23 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahfeathers View Post
I hit a point where I'd purchased too many fish who just didn't work out for one reason or another... sickly, not what I expected when I got them home, ect. I also was feeling like I was buying fish for color-- for example I bought a lovely white dragon with red fins... he was a doubletail PK. But I don't really like doubletails that much. He turned out to be really sickly, too-- and after a few months of being the most sad, lazy fish I'd ever seen, he died.

The other part is.. I see all these lovely fish on aquabid and stuff-- and some fish look great in the light and all. But they don't look as good in a tank setting. Sure, a fish like the one in your first post is GORGEOUS. But it won't look half as vibrant in an in-home tank with lighting from overhead (as opposed to strong lighting from many directions). A photoshoot is different from what something looks like irl.
See that's the thing, I never buy for colors or tail type. The day I was there looking at Sheldon, there was a copper dragon veil tail, a blue double tail and some interesting crown tails. I believe there was a few Mustard Gas too. All my guys where bought sick, I never really chose a color except for Ben (the first) and even my breeders Bettas were chosen by her, not me. I kinda picked Sheldon the day I was there, but I know I wouldn't have picked another today. I honestly don't think I've picked a single animal in my house O_o They were all pets that no one else wanted, or were in trouble. I can see your point though, when Betta owning becomes Betta collecting.... miggghhhht be the time to stop and rethink things.

My Spidey came from the breeder and looked nothing like his photos at 3 months (he was 10m when I finally got him). I totally see what you're saying about pictures looking like a totally different fish. My Carnage looked just like his video on Aquabid though, which was better than seeing a picture. I have seen soo many members fish not turn out to be the same as the photos :(
Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #24 
elijahfeathers

See I don't normally have a desire to buy ill fish. The only 'rescue' I got I pitched a fit over, because his fins were GONE, his water was disgusted, and his cup was cracked and had leaked and he hardly had room to flop in the filth. After I finished talking to a manager, he offered me the fish for free. Scrappy was what I called him, and once he was in good shape I offered him to my brother, who keeps him as a deskfish and loves him a lot. He renamed him Shakespear and gave him a castle-- and Shakespear is quite happy. I still sneak water changed every now and then when I'm doing my tanks, as my bro skimps on them sometimes, but eh. He's not really a fish I enjoy looking at. I try to buy healthy, beautiful fish.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #25 
Pitluvs

Different strokes for different folks I guess! I come from a very active rescue background, so my home goes to animals who really need it and would otherwise be dead if it were not for my offering :) To me it's like buying a breeder dog while shelter dogs die. I find there nothing more rewarding than looking at a fish swimming around happy and healthy, that was on death door months ago. I'm not really big on looks either, I appreciate all Bettas for their own personal beautiful uniqueness.

Sounds like you've had a rough go in the past with sick fish?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #26 
Tikibirds

The only thing stopping me from getting males is the simple fact that I don't have any more outlets to plug in heaters. Plus my sister insists that I am a fish hoarder. My fish are well cared for, thank you very much. Unlike her 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon with unclean water *eyeroll*

I think I am at my limit though with 23.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-19-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #27 
TaraVictor

Space is what stops me, and probably the fact that I'm still familiarising myself and getting used to caring for Victor (I even find that a challenge xD) I would quite gladly buy more bettas if only I have the space for them. =P

I know when I visited the pet shop to buy Victor, I was quite indecisive of which one I should buy, as there was so much choice. It just so happens that at this particular pet shop I go to, there are times where they have much more choice than others. When I went to buy my first betta, I was quite indecisive then too, even though there wasn't near as much choice as there was when I went for Victor.

Pitluvs: That betta you posted is really beautiful! I would find it difficult to walk away from him too.

Last edited by TaraVictor; 11-19-2011 at 05:30 AM.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #28 
elijahfeathers

Well, unlike a lot of people here I view bettas a little differently than say, a cat or a dog. It doesn't mean i don't provide for them the best care I can, it's just... Fish are fish to me. When you breed fish, you have to cull some as far as I know. Just because of the sheer number of them anyway, and the deformities of some. I find it deeply hypocritical that people think it's okay to cull fish when breeding and keep them certain ways but if it's a pet owner suddenly it's terrible. But that's a different discussion.

I also find that buying sick fish from chainstores to rescue them is rather like purchasing a puppymill puppy from a back yard breeder that has health issues. Granted, I don't think fish are people, and I don't think pets in general are people so my opinion varies a lot from most people you will find on pet-based forums.

Part of my reason is also that I've had sick fish before and it went rather badly. I even had one who appeared outwardly healthy but was lethargic for months until he passed away. The other part is all my tanks are planted and it is unfortinantly difficult to treat illnesses in a tank that's so sensitive to meds/salts. Even if I remove the fish for the treatment, the tank may reinfect him.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #29 
Pitluvs

Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #30 
ManInBlack2010

pretty much money and space... i don't have much more room in my room for tanks and there is no way my parents will let me put tanks in other parts of the house. it also costs so darn much to put together a tank what with the filter, heater, gravel/sand, plants/decor... i can't talk though, i fell in love with a white hm at petsmart last night and bought a whole new tank and him and a snail... *facepalm*
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote