Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 
Super Fish

20 gallon 5 way divided betta setup

Hi everyone,

For the last few weeks, I've been "building" a 20 gallon that's divided into five sections. Each betta will have approximately 4 gallons. Today, I added fish! Currently there are 2 males and female. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It's not perfect but it works.

Materials:
20g high
Fiberglass window screen
Silicone (NOT mold and mildew resistant)
Exacto Knife to cut window screen to size and to scrape off excess silicone

It is still a work in progress - the decor needs a major overhaul. Live plants will be added and more rock features. A background will be added as well!

Pictures!

The tank over all:

Facing off through the screening:

Saying hello:

Currently I have two males and a female in them - watching them interact through the screen is hilarious. I wasn't sure if they would be able to see each other, but apparently they can!

The sections are quite tall but they have been using the whole space. :)

I'll be updating the thread as more fish are added and the tank is improved upon.
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Wow. I have never seen a 20 tall divided. Very interesting! For plants, I strongly recommend you get some anacharis. It is a very tall growing plant that would work wonderfully in your tank. You could also get some java or christmas moss for the floor. This would probably work best because there is sometimes a problem with enough light getting to the bottom in such tall tanks.

As a side note, if you take black electrical tape and put it over where the dividers are on the outside, the tank will look a lot more... professional. Not sure why, but it really does help.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #3 
Super Fish

Thank you! The electrical tape idea is BRILLIANT! I tried to make the divisions as neat as possible, but I'm not very handy so they were not as nice as I had hoped.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

I don't think it is even about being handy. I have never seen a divided tank look good without tape. I just don't think it can.

I actually used tape and a thermometer for my cover-up.

Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #5 
Super Fish

I think I'm going to have to steal your tape + thermometer idea.

And your aquarium is lovely, btw!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I have a divided tank without tape that looks better than the one posted with tape o_O

I have my 10g with tape, its a great idea to add it. Covers up any unsteady hand work or boo boos LOL Tank looks great! I personally would have divided 4 times though, to give them more side to side space.

Edit to add, those stick on thermometers are not the best to use with tanks, something that is IN the water works better.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #7 
bastage

I have tape on my divided 20l & it looks great.. Cant tell its not part of the original tank unless you look clode. I agree thoguh about the thermometers. The stick on ones are crummy.

On topic though. OP i am impressed that you managed to get everything togeather with that narrow of cubicles. I have a 20 long divided 4 ways & its a PITA.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #8 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post

On topic though. OP i am impressed that you managed to get everything togeather with that narrow of cubicles. I have a 20 long divided 4 ways & its a PITA.
I agree. I have a 20G long too- divided into 4 sections. I wrestled with it the first time I set it up. Ugh
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #9 
Super Fish

It was not easy! It took me lots of trial and error. I ended up making the sections much larger then needed so that they were easy to work with. I siliconed one side, the clothes pinned the excess and repeated with the other 3 sections. Then once that had dried, I siliconed the bottom sections - I turned the tank on its side which made getting my hands in the sections a bit easier. And then I did the other sides. There was much frustration and cursing and re-siliconing along the way though.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #10 
Brian10962001

Here's the 10 and the 20 I just divided. The ten gallon has a 7in section in the middle, 6.5 on the outside but looks even because of the glass. The 20 is evenly divided into a pair of 5 gallon, and a 10 gallon section. The camera angle makes them look weird but they're all level and look even when you're actually looking at them.
Attached Images

Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote