Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

I think my betta Lucky is dying! Sudden symptoms. Please help!

Last night my betta Lucky started being lethargic and he lost a lot of color. It also looked like he had ripped his fins and that he had been tail biting. He was just floating by the heater with his nose above the water breathing. It was really late and I could not do an emergency water change so i went to sleep that night hoping that he would survive. This morning I saw that he was struggling to get to the surface and that he was gasping for breath. I could tell he was really struggling so I whipped up a gallon of conditioned water and put him in QT. I lowered the water level so he could get to the surface easier. I am really worried about my baby, so please help me!!

I attached a picture below, but I'm on my phone so it will be quite big. Sorry! He look really pale in the picture and it's not because of the lighting, he is really that pale!!

Here are his stats when I first noticed the symptoms.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Varied between Aqueon Betta Pellets, Tetra Betta Flakes and Freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day. I feed him varied amounts but always the equal amount to about two pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week. But this past week I was only able to do 1-100%. Life happens I can't help it.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1-50% 1-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat plus. I just switched to it this past week.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I do not test my water.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has gotten very pale and he absolutely shredded his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is acting very lethargic and is having a hard time getting to the surface to breath. He was also gasping for breath.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put him I'm QT with new treated water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had fin rot a while ago and I don't think he ever fully recovered.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in August.

Please help fix my baby boy!!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

When was the last water change in relation to the behavior change, is the tank open top...anything new used, sprayed etc...in the house-tank near the kitchen...etc... or did you feed him or touch the water with anything before the behavior change...to understand-he was acting fine and then suddenly he was gasping.....

Good that you QT and made a water change
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

OFL- The last water change that I did was on Sunday. I never recall ever touching his water. His tank has a lid and is in my living room. I have never sprayed anything near his tank. He starting acting a little weird before dinner but I fed him two pellets and he ate them so I didn't thing anything of it. I did switch to the Stress coat last Sunday but I would think that if he was going react to it he would have sooner. Yes, he was acting fine and then he got lethargic. Then bam, maybe and hour later he was gasping and pale.

Now he is kind of floating on his side breathing heavily. It really seems like he is dying. I also forgot to mention that my other betta, who's tank is right next to Lucky's, is acting fine! I did everything that I did with lucky (minus the QT) with him.

Last edited by ArcticRain; 11-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

He is getting drastically worse by the second. Now he is just laying at the bottom of the QT and when ever he needs to breath using all his energy to swim to the top, breath then just sink back down again. Please someone, is it just his time? I have only had him four months, how can it possibly be time for him to leave? I know I'm getting all wishy washy but he was my first and I'm just so depressed thar he could be leaving me, and the fact that I could just be sitting here. Knowing that he is in pain. It's very clear that he is suffering.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #5 
ArcticRain

UPDATE!!!!!!!
He is now completely laying on his side and he can not get to the top to breath. I have a feeling he will pass today. I am literally in tears......
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

When you have sudden changes like this and all the other fish are fine...usually it is due to contamination of some sort....I would try Epsom salt at this point...it can't hurt...mix up some treatment water in a 1gal jug of double dose dechlorinated water and add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannin if you have some and start making 25% water changes with it in the Qt every 5-10 min...keep the light outs and temp in the 76-78F range...good luck....I wish I could do more to help....things like this can be so frustrating.....only so much we can do sometimes.....
Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #7 
ArcticRain

Thank you... Right now I really don't think anything would help. I do not have Epsom salt. In the time it would take to go buy some he probably will have passed. I rather spend his last minuets with him........

Edit: While I was writing this reply my Betta Lucky passed. He is now swimming beneath the rainbow bridge, where he is swimming in peace. I love you Lucky you will be dearly missed. <3

Last edited by ArcticRain; 11-12-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

Do you think I can reuse his Tank, heater, plants and QT tank?
Old 11-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Dang....sorry for your loss.....at least it was fast and he didn't suffer too long....still bites.....

Depending on the cause....if it was contamination-this will depend on what that was and if the tank is acrylic or glass....

I would do a full tear down and clean with vinegar-rinse well and let it sit dry or even in the sun for at least 24-48h and toss the gravel and anything that could possibly absorb anything to be on the safe side..if its filtered-toss the filter media and run the filter for an hour with the vinegar water....

Again sorry for your loss....stuff happens and sometimes we are limited on what we can do.....know in your heart that you did everything right....stuff happens to all of us from time-to-time from no fault of our own.....rest in peace.....
Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #10 
ArcticRain

The tank is acrylic. I have know idea what the cause was.... It all happened so fast. I plan to toss the gravel but I can't loose the heater, plants and the tank. I really can't afford to just throw the stuff away.