Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 
pieleld

What do for winter break?

I'm a college student living in a dorm and winter break is coming up in about a month. I have a filtered 5 gallon in my dorm and am planning to take my betta to my house in a gallon critter keeper for the 3 week break. I can't have the filter running so I'm not sure what I should do with the water in the tank... Any suggestions?
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

If you can't have the filter running there is no point in having water in the tank. You might as well drain it. Just don't forget to bring the heater with you!

I personally have to haul back a 5 gallon because it is planted, as well as a 2 gallon bowl, and a 10 gallon tarantula tank (no water in that one!). When I moved here I was actually able to keep the cycle despite a 3.5 hour drive. Oh, the crazy things we do for fish!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #3 
Bambi

Yeah, like Kyrtkattin said i would drain the 5gallon since you havn't have it running while you're gone.
Though if you're draining it, is there anyway to just take it with you and some how keep the cycle?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

If you could take the filter with you in a bag of dirty fish water, then set it up in a 5 gallon bucket at home and feed it with fish food every few days, or puit a raw shrimp in the bucket, you wouldn't lose the cycle. :) Alternatively, if you could put it in the 3 gallon with the fish, it would work.
Or, if you don't mind your dorm potentially becoming stinky, you could leave the tank back there running with a raw shrimp. As long as there is a source of ammonia, you should be able to keep the cycle.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 
pieleld

What if I was to take the fish in my one gallon critter keeper and somehow worked out a deal with my RD to let me run the filter in the empty tank over break, would that be better?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #6 
LionCalie

The only problem with leaving the filter running with no fish in it when you are gone is there will be no ammonia, thus no nitrite, to feed the good bacteria. If you could have someone feed the bacteria with fish food every few days (just a pinch) while keeping the filter running, that would be the best thing.

Or you can take one of the good routes Bombalurina suggested.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 
pieleld

So I'll ask my RD if he'll let me run the filter over break and I'll put one raw shrimp in there to feed the bacteria. If he doesn't agree, I'll drain the tank.

If I do drain the tank though, would it be alright just to fill it up when I get back without touching/cleaning anything and running the filter for a day before putting the fish in?