Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #1 
Amba1027

Black spots on sides.

Hello all! I am new here and new to fish/betta ownership. My friend gave me a beta 2 weeks ago as a birthday gift. A few days ago I noticed that he's developing some black areas on his sides. It kind of looks like the edges of some of his scales are turning black. Any idea what this is and what I should do to fix it?
Amba1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic of the area in question and any behavior changes and/or signs/symptom of anything else along with the black spot....or is he otherwise acting fine....if so, it may be normal pigment...but to be sure.....

At the top of this section is a sticky...copy/paste/compete/post that in this thread...the more information the better....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #3 
Amba1027

He is acting normal. Whatever it is doesn't seem to bother him at all.

ETA: I didn't realize how hard it is to see without zooming in on the pictures. I will see if I can get a closer one. The spots are mostly near his tail, towards the bottom of his body.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Up until today it has been somewhere in the 74-76 range. Today I got a heater and put it in so it's now at 82.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Starting today, yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 granules twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is developing black spots on his sides.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. He swims around like he normally does.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure. I've only had him for 2 weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. He came from a PetSmart. I'm not sure if the fish there are usually a certain age or not.
Attached Images

Last edited by Amba1027; 11-11-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 
Amba1027

Ok hopefully this is a little better.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #5 
Amba1027

Anyone?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I am not seeing anything.....since he is otherwise acting fine....I wouldn't worry...just watch the area and maintain water quality....

Lovely fella...keep us posted....
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #7 
Amba1027

I was thinking I might have been overreacting (still might be) until my boyfriend said Comet wasn't interested in eating this morning. He behaved like his usual self when I fed him this evening but the not wanting to eat this morning still has me nervous. It also looks like there are more black areas than before. I tried to get another picture but Comet wasn't willing to hold still long enough for me to get a good one. So I took the enlarged photo and put a circle around the area where most of the black stuff is. There's also an arrow pointing to some of it. I really hope I'm overreacting but I just want to be sure. If you still don't really see anything I will continue to try and get a better picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I am not really seeing anything to be overly concerned about, however, I would go ahead and make a 50% water only change for the next 2 days...and hold food for 24h-then offer small frequent meals of a good quality varied diet

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank and try to keep the replacement water within a few degree of the old water to prevent temp related problems...

In a 3.5gal filtered tank-I would recommend 50% twice weekly water changes....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include vacuum or stir and dip to clean the substrate-to maintain water quality on a regular basis....don't overfed and remove uneaten food within a reasonable time....

Keep us posted....