Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #1 
Mikkisaur

Heating a bowl? O.o

I recently got a male betta fish for myself after my gerbil had passed on. Right now he's in a big... Trifle bowl? Either way, it needs to be heated because it is COLD and winter's coming up. Thing is, how do I heat this?:

I know the picture isn't the best, I had to resort to using my phone. To give you an idea, the small blue plant is five or six inches high.

Thanks in advance :3
Mikkisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

I would just get a tank.... I'm not fond of bowls. They heat awfully. Because most bowls are glass, almost impossible to heat. Not to mention just a plain bad home for Bettas. He could also jump out..

So yeah. Best bed is to get an easy-to-heat acrylic tank.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 
LaLaLeyla

I'm sure you could find some bowl heaters at petsmart, but I agree with Miah. Upgrade to adleast a 1 gallon tank. Those will be much easier heat.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 
BettaMiah

:3 Kritter keepers are awesome. You can get very spacious cheap ones that are 3 gallons. Easy to heat. Honestly I think it could be heated with a lamp if the lamp got hot enough and you left it on all day.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 
LaLaLeyla

Yep I have a heater in my bettas 1 gallon kritter keeper. Works wonderfully. :)
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 
Mikkisaur

:) thanks for the opinions, guys. This home is temporary though, just until I can afford a proper tank (I'm soooo broke D:) or convince my mom that yes, one betta can have a 10 gallon all to himself. The ten gal was a gerbil tank before, so it would need a filter, heater, and just a plain old scrubbing. Actually, is there any way to convince her? She really thinks I need an indoor herb terrarium -_______-"
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

BORRRING! Herbs. Lamo.

I would just tell her that you could also get Tankmates for the betta to make it cooler and that he would thrive in that tank. Do some research and come up with some facts about why that tank is too small, and tell her he'll freeze to death in there!

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #8 
Mikkisaur

I WOOOON! My brother still has the filter for that tank, and I have a temporary heat bulb in the tank lamp. YES! :D
Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #9 
BettaMiah

Yaya! Remember to cycle it. He can last a little longer in that bowl. Maybe you can get something to jump-start the cycle so he doesn't have to freeze his ass off when its winter. Cycling takes a long time! Lol.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #10 
Mikkisaur

Is it a good idea to nab some of the gravel from my brother's 20 gal? It's been up and running for a while so that would be seeded ^______^

Tags
bowl, heating, puzzle