Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
Rjb5584

Persistent Finrot--next steps?

So, Whitey Bulger has been dealing with a case of finrot for a few weeks now. I did straight, daily 100% water changes at first only. After a week, I began AQ salt treatment at 1tsp per gallon for the first half to 2tsp per gallon the past 5 days. He looks happy, but he's now missing about 25% of the upper half of his caudal fin, and there are still red dots where the ragged edges are.

I have some bettafix from before I knew that it was more on an antiseptic than a treatment, and picked up some maracyn-2 and betta revive yesterday in case the finrot hadn't cleared.

So what do I do now? Try the betta revive and hope it works, or begin treatment with the antibiotics? Should I clean out the AQ salt before beginning any sort of treatment, or just leave it as is? I'm assuming not, but should I combine any of these treatments?

He looks happy, but I'm hoping he will soon look as good as he seems to feel.
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
Myates

Right now, I would give him a little break from medications, treatments and all the water changes. You don't want to overly stress him and his system out with so much. Is there a way to get pictures? Sometimes you won't see an improvement for a while, but doesn't mean it's still there.
Also, is there a chance that he is actually biting his fins? If that is him in your avatar, then halfmoons are notorious for biting off their own fins. The red dots could be a cause from him fin biting- rot you will see the edges a crusty black, flaking off in chunks, or white cottony growth on the edges.
But just missing/ragged fins and red spots aren't normally a sign of fin rot- there is more to it then just that.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #3 
Rjb5584

Thanks Myates!

Yes, Whitey Bulger is the guy in my avatar. Here are two pics of how his ail is looking now. Doesn't look too bad, but he's definitely missing a considerable amount of tail from it's normal spread--camera phones don't really do the damage justice. I have a pic of him and the rest of my guys in my photo album if you want to see a larger version of the avatar.

Edit: Yes, it is entirely possible that he is tailbiting. I've been going to great lengths to improve everything for him: got a bigger tank, better heater, more and different plants, stablized his diet, and if anything, it is getting worse.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rjb5584; 11-11-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #4 
Myates

Handsome boy.. good news is, I see no fin rot whatsoever. None. Nadda. Zip. Zilch.

So either it was mistaken rot identity, or it is all cleared up. He has exceptionally long fins, including the dorsal! So I would have to say this whole time was more of a case of long heavy fins rather then rot.

What he does have a case of, is the bad habit of fin biting- which is very hard to stop them from doing. Rearrange the tank once in a while, if it is filtered, keep it on the low setting and baffled to prevent less drag from his big fins.

But yes, go ahead and take him out of the salt, and put him back in his home, with just clean water and conditioner :) Keep up with the weekly water changes, maybe adding in a tiny bit more each change, or in the middle of the week to make sure rot doesn't develop while he bites his tail.

Yay! Glad to see it isn't a case of rot :)
Old 11-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #5 
Rjb5584

That is a HUGE relief!

Bummer to hear there isn't a lot I can do to prevent the fin biting, but I will certainly follow the suggestion to mix it up a bit here and there to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks again, Myates! You rock!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #6 
Myates

Welcome :) I don't recall your first post on him and fin rot- so can't say for sure if he ever even had it. But it's good to know that now he doesn't, and if possible, when you have questions include a picture, as well as post pics on the progress. Makes it easier to see how things are going and when/if things need to be changed.
Glad now he can go home and be more comfortable without all the stress of the changes.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 
Rjb5584

Just wanted to update a bit, with some good news and bad news:

the good news is that I know for sure that it is in fact tail BITING and not rot that is causing Whitey's tail problems.

The bad news is that I found this out after changing his water and while in his cup, he ate a third of his tail.

He is no longer going through his salt treatment, so right now it's just stress coat+ and conditioner (and of course clean water).

Here's hoping the little butthead cuts it out!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #8 
Silverfang

y'know the first time my boy ever chewed his tail was while cupped for a WC. Ever since then I try not to keep him in anything small for more than a few seconds.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #9 
Rjb5584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
y'know the first time my boy ever chewed his tail was while cupped for a WC. Ever since then I try not to keep him in anything small for more than a few seconds.
Has he tail-bitten since then? What do you keep him in now when doing water changes? How large is the tank--does your new container fit in it for acclimation? If not, how do you acclimate him?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #10 
Silverfang

he has, I think he bites when he knows it'll irritate me.
I do use a cup, a clear one and transfer him into his old mini tank to wait for the cleaning. I don't do a full acclimitization anymore, at least not with him. Scuzi is in a 2.5 gal tank. I let him bob for a minute and then just let him sit in the temp home while I do the cleaning. I then let him bob for probably 5 minutes to make sure he's at the right temp then let him in. I know you should take longer for water chemistry, but I use the same tap water, same bottle of stress coat for dechlorination, same everything.

I use the cup one of my girls from petsmart came in, and a small tank (his original, before I found out how well they do with more room). With how agitated he gets during a WC, I get it done and over with as quickly as I Can.

The mug from the first time was opaque black. So I don't know if that was what caused it. Or if it brought back bad memories from the wall of death he was originally found on.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote