Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #1 
Badjer

Breeding bars?

So I came home from a party last night around 11:30. First thing I did was run upstairs and flip the tank lights off, as it was over the boys bedtime. Xavier is a small, royal blue and black CT. He had several vertical stripes that were almost pale pink in color. Now correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't those breeding bars? And do males get breeding bars? Or does this confirm my suspicions that he might actually be female? Unless I'm entirely wrong, and they're stress stripes. In which case, could the lights being on later stress him out or could it have been something else?
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

If the bars were vertical they were what is commonly considered as "breeding bars"

However, males too can get these bars. They don't acutally communicate breeding readiness per se but submission. The female shows them during spawning to show submission to the male.

When males get them it can be because they are scared.. not stressed per se but uncomfortable. I had a VT male once who had them for over a week after I bought him before he settled down. When my spawn was growing up I'd notice them from both males and females in the grow out tank if one was bullying another.

So... the short version is.. he probably was startled by your turning the lights on and that's what caused the stripes. Nothing to worry about.

Just for reference here's a picture of my man when he had his stripes...

And after he settled down.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #3 
Badjer

Well considering he shares a tank with my othr CT, it was probably the whole submission thing. The other boy is much larger and has a horrible aggressive streak. I'm working on getting another tank for him, but hopefully they calm down because it's going to be awhile...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

They'll get used to each other eventually and stop flaring as much.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 
Badjer

Well they've been together for over three weeks now. Any hope they'll ever relax? They're in a divided 2.5 gallon tank, which I now know is way too small. The cost of a new tank isn't an issue, but trying to talk my mom into allowing me to have another tank is proving difficult. Almost there, though. (:
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Ah, I see. Well in that size tank there's really not enough room for them to "get away" from each other and feel safe that the other isn't going to come get them so that's probably why you are seeing so much aggression issues. My advice would be to try to hide the divider by placing their plants and other decorations in front of the divider so they don't notice each other as much.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 
Badjer

I have some nice plants on order just for that purpose. (: Thank you so much for your help!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

No problem :) Good luck on getting another tank.