Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta

crazy combo??

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but not new to betta breeding...The old forum I was on basically died and I need some info or suggestions.
My betta stock isn't very big at the moment and I wanted to breed my yellow/black CT female, Peekaboo, I got from Thailand in the Spring. She is REALLY fat with eggs, and I need something to do for the winter, so what better hobby than raising a bunch of beautiful betta babies?!
Heres the girlie, this is when I just got her in April:

This is her brother, in case you were curious about genetics. Unfortunately he passed a few months ago.

I have two possible males I can breed her with.
One is sheldon, my pastel HM male, who has proven himself to be an amazing daddy and a great breeder:

OR. Odin, a white platinum male, who is ready to go with a massive bubblenest started already.

Im not so worried about tails and what will come out of them, I'm wondering about colours. What could possibly come out of this?? I've looked everywhere for info or colour genetic calculators but I've come up empty handed..Figured I'd come ask real people instead of making wild guesses by myself LOL. I have other females I can cross with these two boys, but Peekaboo is gunna explode and I've never had babies from her before. Hope you all can help, if not, enjoy the photos! :) :D
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
Lighterman

My rule of breeding is dark with dark, light with light. In this case.....and the color......I'd think it would end up better by spawning the female w/ the blue HM.
+Could u get anymore bettas? A black CT or Mustard Gas (CT or HM) can have pretty good offspring.
Lighterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

With such diverse genetics it is a "wild guess".
IF I had to choose I would go with the first male, maybe you'll get some halfsuns.
Have you looked at this page: http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html#allele
It explains genetics... you will not find a black and white solution to your particular case because you'll get a lot of diverse fry. You will definitely see lots of blue on your fry.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #4 
Gloria

I don't really know anything about genetics, but I think if it was me I would bred your girl (who is gorgeous btw) with male #1, I love his colouring. Male #2 is VERY nice too, but I'd be interested to see what colours youd get with male #1..
Let us know how you go.
And... Welcome to the Forum.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta

Unfortunately, my parents think that I have too many adult bettas already LOL. They don't mind the breeding, but they want me to live with what I have now. I did have a red CT a few weeks back but I woke up one morning and he was dead..not sure what happened there, but everyone else was fine and hungry (as usual!)

But yes, I think I'll try the blue boy instead, halfsuns are beautiful so I hope I can get some :) Plus Sheldon is experienced and he's not too mean luckily.
I know this probably seems like a stupid idea, but I'm interested in experimenting. I won't be selling them on Aquabid or showing them or anything..Just selling the babies to local people and probably keeping a couple for myself :)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta

And thank you Gloria! :D Sheldons my favourite boy :) The white one is my moms. Anyone know what kinda tail he has??? Its not quite a veil, but its not a delta either. That was my other hesitation. I liked sheldons tail better LOL
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

I really sort of like diverse clutches, so I can't wait to see what you get! :) I like a lot of color, so the blue guy sounds like a winner to me! Be sure to post pictures of your favorite babies :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta

I shall do that! :D Sheldons down there swimming around the spawning tank now...I got the girlie in a little 1 gallon beside him, and he is just a-flirting! Haha. I think he recognizes whats going on :P

Thanks for the help everyone :) Glad I'm not getting hate mail because I'm creating weirdly coloured bettas LOL
Old 11-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #9 
Gloria

Nawww, what a goodboy lol..
i like lots of colour. It's always nice to see different Betta :)
Good Luck
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #10 
Bambi

hmm, either way you'll get muli's with red wash unless one of the males carries yellow.

I would probably breed to male two. I see he already has some red and since he's white he might carry the non-red(yellow) gene depending on who bred him and such..

but male one might throw some nice babies aswell.xD
I think i would personally go with male 2 though. i adore white bettas xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hm pastel white butterfly