Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Variety from flakes to pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day - 2 pellets per

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not yet
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail was white/shimmery teal
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He stays near the surface, rarely moves. He doesn't even flare up as much as he used to. Like before he'd even bump the mirror now he flares up for a second and then just calms down and doesn't care.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, I'm not sure what to do?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, just treated him with Fin Rot as soon as I seen it forming and it disappeared.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. Bought him two weeks ago from Petco.
JayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #2 
JayJo

Update! : I just did a 100% WC and I cleaned out the gravel so it's just his tank (so I can better see waste/uneaten food/et cetera) and well the clarity of it, I noticed something about Hollywood. He seems like he's folding up his fins and he doesn't really use them to swim (looked through the sticky threads) and it seems like he's "clamped up" and red coloring is appearing where his fins are attached to his body (sorry, I'm still learning about fish anatomy). There and some at the tips of his fins but not bad and then his dorsal fin is all folded and clamped.

I read further in the sticky threads, is this fin rot? Or Septicemia?

:( I know my newness is annoying but please bare with me!
JayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 
Myates

Septicemia will occur as a result of an injury or open wound.. Septicemia will often present itself as redness under the scales any where on the body. It can be concentrated in one area or appear throughout. It may appear more visible around the face. The discoloration is often impossible to detect in dark or red colored fish.
Redness or streaks under the scales, open wounds, ulcers, popeye, clamped fins, lethargy, color loss, loss of appetite. Usually happens when they get injured or from bacteria in their food.. sometimes stress.

Without pictures it's hard to say whether that is it or not- clamped fins could be due from stress, cold water, water chemistry, among a number of things out there. There are also a couple other illnesses that is possible with red streaks/spots.

What is the home tank like? You listed the tank but said it was QT- if he had gotten ill in his home tank, then it would be easier to figure things out with info of that tank, rather then the QT.

The fin rot, how did you treat it and for how long?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote