Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #1 
jdiaz

Desk Lamp to Heat Tank

So I just moved my male veiltail betta to the 5 gallon that I used to quarantine my sword tail that had Ich. So I cleaned the tank really clean and let it sit for a while before I use it and let it filter for a day. I woke up in the morning and the temp was at the high 60s and it was way to cold and it was hiding behind its coconut house. So I did a 25 percent water change with warm water and the temp went up to 78 and the betta was moving realy happy and know he is making a tiny bubble nest.
Anyway back to the point the 5 gallon does not have a heater and I just put a desk lamp ontop to heat up the tank it he seems happy is there any prob if i keep the lamp to heat the tank? The room temp is like 72 and the water gets cold and I don't want to buy a heater for know because of money. My ten is heated by the heater in the living room and the water is perfect.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

That's not a good idea. You'd have to leave it on at night, and fish, just like humans, need to have a distinct sense of night and day. Please get a regular heater.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1. And the biggest problem with leaving it off at night is not just that the water will be too cold (which is still a problem) - it's that the sudden change could shock the betta fatally. An adjustable heater really is the safest way to go. :) It's not a big expense - you may even be able to pick one up for free second hand.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 
Moclam

You should certainly get a heater my dear. It's quite worth it in the long run.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, heater, veiltail betta