Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Forums

I've seen a lot of differing opinions on how forums are to be used and seen quite a few heated debates about it too.

I see forums as a place to give and receive advice and to meet and talk with people of similar interests. For me, this includes a certain amount of amicable chatting and banter on threads, some of which may stray a bit from the original topic as the conversation naturally flows. Otherwise, chatting is kept to the lounge area.

Others view forums as a place strictly for advice and buy/sell transactions with answers to questions kept as close to the topic as possible and chat kept to a minimum or eliminated altogether so that as many people as possible can be helped in a single span of time.

So, I'm confused. Exactly how are forums used? Everyone on here has an opinion, now's your chance to express that opinion and state your view. Really, I'm curious and I'd like to know what you all think 'cause I'm really confused and I think I may be making some people mad with the way I post in threads that are not in the Lounge area. Is there a right way and a wrong way to post? Some kind of etiquette I have missed?

The forum is my only social media outlet so forgive my ignorance of other social media sites such as Facebook etc. o.O Yeah, I know. I'm very weird that way, haha.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I think a certain amount of banter is a good thing, as long as the thread doesn't stray too far off the original topics. It's nice to be on a conversational footing with people who share your passions - after all, these similarities can be the start of great friendships and it would be a shame to put a halt to that. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #3 
Sakura8

That's how I feel, too, Bombalurina. I find that if I don't banter a little, I come off as really cold and rude. Maybe it's just the way I type? Although, I do know I can get carried away. Gotta work on that. I've been known to hi-jack my own threads.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

That's why I like smilies and emoticons. It's really hard to convey your tone on the internet, so things said in a kindly way in one's head can come out very cold and blunt in a thread. Smilies soften the way a whole post can sound, I think. :)
But I've never noticed you being cold and rude!
And lol, hijacking one's own thread. It's so easy to drift off topic...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Haha, I think I still need to learn which smilie/emoticon is for what occasion. Sometimes I'm not sure I'm using them right. I should probably just stick with . For some reason, it's my favorite. Something about those bug-eyes . . .

And thank you, I'm glad I don't come off as cold and rude. That's a relief. :)

Last edited by Sakura8; 11-12-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

I do think bantering is acceptable on forums. This is really my first time venturing so much into a forum, but it would be so unpleasant if there wasn't some friendly banter here and there.

I feel that if it were limited to just the chat section, I would never come back except for help, which defeats the purpose of so many sections of forums (This one especially).

So long as the bantering and chatting doesn't stray completely off topic for too long, I think it's perfectly acceptable. Sometimes it's hard to keep on track, but there's always room for error.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I think I just need to learn that fine line between too much banter and just enough. Thank you both, Bombalurina and Pata for posting your thoughts. This is helping me understand a little more the nature of a forum, especially this one. :)
Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

If it helps you any, the bantering we've done in some of my disease section threads was never viewed as too much. It was a nice break from stressing.

I think you've got it down for the most part.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #9 
Sakura8

:) Thanks, Pata. That does help me feel better.

For some threads, it's hard to tell when you go off topic. Like a moss ball thread I posted on a lot. We were still talking about moss balls so I guess we all thought we were still on topic except the thread was about moss ball care, not moss ball appreciation, haha.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

pffft. Those are totally the same things.

Can't care for something you don't appreciate to some extent. Who knows, maybe the moss balls really do like being appreciated and stay healthier when you appreciate them. There's that whole plants have feelings theory.