Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Question Female being a creeper..

Just wanted your opinions on this..

Female is fat with eggs, male has been building a nest that is quite large now. She keeps watching him like a weirdo. If he comes near her she goes head down but shes nowhere near the nest so the male is just irritated and swims away. She was following him to the nest but he kept chasing her off and now she is just watching like a creeper. I have another suitable female that has breeding stripes after being jarred in the tank with them. Have you guys ever just switched out females with any rate of success? This female is submissive to him and he's kind of aggressive without being violent, should I just leave them together and hope she comes out? I might have seen one awkward embrace earlier, not sure. They're been together for about 7 hours now and have been going through all the normal chasing, nest building, etc. I thought she was hiding TOO WELL so I removed some of the fake plants so she can at least see him and he can find her every once in awhile.

They're in a heated 10 gal filled 4 or maybe 5 inches. Earlier I placed another male next to their tank and let them "fight" for about 15 mins and then removed the second male in his tank which didn't do much. I'm going to go get some decaffienated green tea to add to their tank since I don't have any IAL, they were both conditioned for weeks and are healthy.

Any ideas/help? It's a little frustrating to watch.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #2 
GreenTea

Organic decaf green tea bad now floating in the spawn tank, I guess I'll just remove it when the water is dark unless someone lets me know otherwise!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 
Gloria

Sorry Green Tea, I can't really help you.
My female was sorta like that, I ended up leaving her in with him overnight, kept it nice and dark and in the morning when I woke up they were embracing.
Hope all works out
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

How long have they been together?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #5 
GreenTea

Now they've been together about 9 hours
Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

U can't rush the fish to breed...
Some can take a few hours...
Some will take days....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta

Yea I've had fish together for days before they finally got to it! Don't give up just yet ;) lol..I usually put the female back in her little floaty tank while I was asleep so I didn't wake up to find her dead. Not everyone does that, i'm just overly cautious LOL
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Alright. Do you all recommend I just keep them together unless they become totally disinterested or totally violent?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #9 
GreenTea

I've added another tea bag for tannins and switched the females as they were no longer shower interest in one another and kind of floating together. I switched the nest and hiding spots and have a new female in a vase. She barred up immediately upon seeing him. She was sold to me as a hmpk but has quite large fins so I wonder. She flared and him for a bit and now they are wiggling together and sometimes she ignores him. Here is a photo of the pair, just looking for opinions and experiences.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #10 
Dead Sunlight

I would leave them in for a bit more, but if either or both become aggresive or show litle to no signs for intrest, I would remove them and if you still want to breed, perhaps find another male(or use the other female), (yes, they have to be conditioned again, even though shes got her eggs) i would have bought a few pairs- some pairs just dont work, as seen between us humans. be sure to pm me for questions.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote