Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #11 
GreenTea

I have many pairs, and 3 or 4 females who would go great with this male alone as well, I've been prepping for months so it's a little frustrating!

Thanks for your comment, sorry that came off as a little cranky. Kind of frustrated. I got my giant hmpks to spawn only to have dad eat the eggs and now everyone else shows signs but the connection isnt made. I'm just going to leave this pair alone and check on them to make sure they aren't killing each other. She's a good deal smaller than this male but quite cheeky. I appreciate your comment, I think some sleep is in order for me. Also I don't think we've talked so nice to sort of meet you.

Last edited by GreenTea; 11-13-2011 at 02:39 AM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #12 
Curlyfatbottom

Just came back from drinking...
So if I don't make sense dont mind me...
From the pic...
The female is not ready to breed...
Her head is not lower to the ground...
And her fin is still open....
Sign that you look for in a female...
Lowering her head...
With fin close and willing to follow the male...
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Why are you trying to rush spawning? They ALL sound normal and IMO will eventually spawn. Just give them time.

I currently have a pair of first time breeders together since yesterday. The female is getting beaten up quite a bit though half the tank is filled with plants. But I'm letting nature take its course because both are still in the breeding mode. Yes the female hides most of the time (IMO she is not aggressive enough). But it's normal. I'm guessing this pair might take a long time before they actually spawn..... they're very young - male is over 3 months and the female is over 4 months (young giants).

Try to be more patient and let them do their thing. Good hide outs might postpone spawning. But it's safer for the female - specially if you have a very aggressive/vicious male.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #14 
GreenTea

I'm not trying to rush it..I'm just still new and my first spawn happened in a few hours which I thought was normal, now it seems I hear that it taking a few days is more normal.

It's just stressful because I don't want the female to get killed if left in too long you know? And all that and although I've done lots of research and asked people, reading their signs can still be a little challenging at times. I feel more at ease about it now since it can take longer.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #15 
Curlyfatbottom

Don't feel bad about it....
Even people with lot of breed under ther belt still have problem.....
I have a pair in the breeding tank for a week...
There still not breeding....
Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I'm not trying to rush it..I'm just still new and my first spawn happened in a few hours which I thought was normal, now it seems I hear that it taking a few days is more normal.

It's just stressful because I don't want the female to get killed if left in too long you know? And all that and although I've done lots of research and asked people, reading their signs can still be a little challenging at times. I feel more at ease about it now since it can take longer.
Sorry, my mistake.
The general guide; if the female remains colored, she is willing to spawn - usually with breeding bars. And the male should always swim back and forth between female and nest.

Less aggressive/low esteem females will likely get beaten up more than aggressive females. Perhaps the male is frustrated because she is not following him - not sure. If you know your betta's character, try using less vicious males for these females.

If the female is not moving much and weak, always on the surface or floor, take her out although she is still colored up with bars. Though she may spawn, but she may also die afterwards due to her injuries.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #17 
Curlyfatbottom

Plus ready to spawn and willing to spawn is two different thing....
Some female will refuse to breed with some male....
If they don't like each other...
You can do everything right...
They won't breed....
Younger female are more willing to spawn then older one...
The fastest was 10 minute after releasing the female...
The longest was two week....
A lot of none spawning pair...
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

My experience is the opposite. Younger females are harder or take longer to breed than older ones. Even 1yr old females would breed faster - older females are more aggressive, they don't wait for the male to approach. They would take charge of everything until the male begins biting.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #19 
GreenTea

It's ok Indjo, I know you weren't commenting to me maliciously. Now the female is near the nest and the male is less aggressive with her but he has stopped tending to his nest and it's falling apart a bit. Should I just leave them together for a few more days and see how it goes as long as they are not being very aggressive with each other? The water has been tanned pretty deeply by tea at this point and the water is warm and humid.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #20 
Curlyfatbottom

Never try breeding year old female...
The age That I like to breed the female is 4-7 month old...
Yes older female will take charge...
Or even go head on with the male...
If the male is a young male that she breeding to...
And he can over power her...
He'll run...
If he run..
It's over for that male breeding career