Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You might have used too much tannin - not sure. But if male had a good nest but then not tending to it, IMO you should recondition him because there might be something wrong with him. ..... keep an eye on him.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #22 
Dead Sunlight

I understand your frusturation. I may be 14, but I'm one of the best breeders at the IBC, it's kind of like my award-winning MG pair, but remember this, just because we may view a pair as "perfect" doesn't mean the pair is right.
In your situation, I think that either time will tell, as you know some spawns may take mere hours or days to begin an embrace, or I believe that the pair just isn't right. Be it the latter, I advice you check in on the pair every few hours (at this time, I would advise not to bother the pair too much, as they may not be spawning due to stress). Be keen, however: if one or both seem uninterested or hostile (in a non-courting way), the pair is most likely uncompatible. At this time you should remove and recondition with a different mate. If any courting signs are visible, keep the pair together for a bit more, as well as watching them like a hawk. Every pair is different when it comes to spawning, at this time I can only tell you to be pacient. Be sure to P.M me for additional questions.

(How thick and large is the bubblenest? A good size should be about an inch thick and 3-4 inches wide)

Don't provide TOO much cover for the female; all I have in my spawning tanks is a heather, sponge filter, and a clump of java moss. In absense of live plants, I usually put in a single clay flower pot.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #23 
GreenTea

Ok thanks, the water was pretty murky so I replaced half of it and they began courting again. The nest is a few inches wide, was bigger and thicker before. I'm just leaving them alone and watching from the other room. It seems like the male is just spacing out now, the female is ready by the nest..She has her bars back too :)

Last edited by GreenTea; 11-13-2011 at 08:41 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #24 
Curlyfatbottom

Good luck...
U sound like me when I first start breed...
Was so anxious to see them breed...
Now I just let them b...
And if it happen it happen...
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #25 
GreenTea

This is the situation now - removed both, did a water change keeping whats left of the nest intact. The male seems to have lost his focus and is just playing in the plants -_-

The female was literally sitting under the nest head down with bars showing for hours and he's like la la la la java moss you are so fun la la la

So I've jarred her now hoping he'll start a new nest and get his focus back.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #26 
Dead Sunlight

haha, cute <3

I'm starting to think that its stress thats postponing the spawn, as you removing them, replacing the water, moving decor around, etc. in this situation, what i do i wrap a dark blanket or cover the tank with a sheet, with little to no light on. this might help them relax a bit.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bad fishy! Get your focus back, bud. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #28 
GreenTea

Well he did and then built a huge nest but then I released her and they kinda hung out together for a few days...she was ready, he wasn't. I scrapped it after I saw him relentlessly chasing her after a few days. Trying the shock method next..
Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #29 
Gloria

oh :( Sorry to hear it didn't work out this time round. Hopefully next time :D
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #30 
GreenTea

Yeah...OFL suggested it could be their age as well...They're only 4 months, maybe a bit younger. She suggested in about a month or two things might be better.