Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #1 
Sakura8

Wheels On a Big Tank Stand

My dad likes to put wheels on everything. Maybe it's a guy thing. If I ever get a large tank, say 30 gallons or more, he wants to put wheels on the stand so he can move it around when it's in the way. Aside from the fact that 30 gallons of water is too heavy to just roll around on a whim, I'm worried about the structural integrity of the stand if it's raised up on wheels at each corner. He's an engineer so it's not like he doesn't understand these things, but I'm still worried about it. What does everyone else think?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 
Silverfang

I think that would be dangerous... for me and my cat wheel? WHEE!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 
BettaMama11

I guess that depends on the type of stand!! I'd be worried about wheels on my stand, but then again mine's one of those metal ones! What if he put one of those things that locks the wheels would that make you more comfortable with wheels?
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 
Nickpearson1985

With the right castors and engineering, you could put wheels on anything. They put wheels on 2ton cars don't they? And aircraft, which are many many tons lol. It's just up to doing it RIGHT. I think just about anybody could put wheels on a 30gal. Probably around 300# total with stand, so 75lbs per wheel, no big deal. The thing I would worry about is the floor. Can it sustain that much weight on 4 tiny wheels? The contact patch would be minuscule. Even your car's wheel only has a contact patch of about 3x8in. And car wheels are WAY bigger than the ones that would be on your tank.
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Silverfang. Yeah. Wheels. On a fish stand. In the garage.

BettaMama, I like the idea of locking wheels. That's a good idea. :)

Nick, you and my dad think alike. :) The tank will be in the garage on concrete so no problems there. So you think it's okay? He'd like to be able to move the tank out so we can get to the stuff in the cupboards. And so he can move it out and powerwash the concrete once a year. Uhm, cat puke residue.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #6 
Nickpearson1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Nick, you and my dad think alike. :) The tank will be in the garage on concrete so no problems there. So you think it's okay? He'd like to be able to move the tank out so we can get to the stuff in the cupboards. And so he can move it out and powerwash the concrete once a year. Uhm, cat puke residue.
I think it should be fine. As long as it's stout enough. It's only 75lbs per wheel at MOST. My wheeled TV stand carries more. If it is done right, it will be fine. NO ZIPTIES OR DUCT TAPE!!!! haha
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Darn, his next favorite toy is duct tape. Thanks, Nick.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

Well there goes all the fun, no duct tape :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I know, right? And especially now that you can get rolls of it in leopard print.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #10 
Trobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I know, right? And especially now that you can get rolls of it in leopard print.
HAHAHA I am currently using the zebra print to tape the light to my tank. This was after one of my cats knocked it in.

As for wheels, the stand my hubby is planning on building will have 4 locking caster wheels. These will allow me to push it closer to the sink for water changes, wall cleaning, floor cleaning.....
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote