Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 
sanderle

uneven water temperatures

I have a 2.5g mini bow that I'm trying to set up, but I'm having issues with heating the water. The water is really, really warm at the top but at the bottom it's drastically cooler. Is there any way to have an even water temperature without having a filter?

At the top it's >78 degrees, in the middle it's 78, and at the bottom it's probably a few to several degrees cooler than 78.
sanderle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderle View Post
I have a 2.5g mini bow that I'm trying to set up, but I'm having issues with heating the water. The water is really, really warm at the top but at the bottom it's drastically cooler. Is there any way to have an even water temperature without having a filter?

At the top it's >78 degrees, in the middle it's 78, and at the bottom it's probably a few to several degrees cooler than 78.
you could probably just stick an airstone in there on a small airpump at the bottom. the rising air bubbles should help stir up the water.
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Do you have a filter? The heat will circulate better when the heating unit is next to the filter. Alternatively, an air stone will do the trick, as suggested.
However, I wouldn't be too worried. I have a tank that is similar in dimensions to a hex tank - small footprint, very tall - and the bottom of the tank is noticeably cooler than the top, even with a filter and an airstone. My girls don't seem to mind, and it works out well for my cories. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #4 
sanderle

Alright, thank you! I do have a filter, but it's kind of noisy so I wasn't that keen on using it.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

I have a 2 gallon and there is also a notable difference in temp from top to bottom. I think this is very similar to their natural environment, so I don't worry about it, just as long as my fish has a place to go an stay warm at the proper temp. My girl goes from top to bottom without seeming to care at all.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Often even with a filter you can still have temp difference at different levels....its nothing to be concerned about..... its normal......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #7 
sanderle

Alright, thank you all so much. I'm so glad that it's nothing to worry about.