Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #1 
Tobythefish

Exclamation My fish is really sick. Help!

Our fish's previous owners neglected him, so when we got him 2 weeks ago, he was very bad looking. A few days aftrer we got him, he got sick. white stringy fuzz started growing on him, little stringy things started floating in his water, his fins got very ragged, and he didn't have much color. He was very stressed out 'cause he had moved to two different houses in 1.5 months. We started treating him with Pimafix, and he looked a lot better until a couple days ago. Yesterday, he lost almost all his color and looked really bad. We started him on Bettafix, and he looked a bit better when I gave him some. He's got some of his color back, but he's got a big white spot on his throat that wasn't there before. His stomach is bloated, and we heat him with a hot water bottle.
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 liters
What temperature is your tank? 67-82 degrees farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?TetraMin Betta Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his fins are very ragged and he's lost a lot of color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes Pimafix and bettafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 1 year
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #2 
mjoy79

I think more experienced users can help you with what is wrong with your guy... but I just wanted to clarify your tank size. 1.5 liters (and not gallons?)

Also 67-82 degrees is a very large range for the temps to fluctuate. A heater in a tank size of at least 1 gallon will help regulate and keep the water at a safe tempurature of at least 78 (bettas need temps between 76-84)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #3 
Tobythefish

Yes, it is 1.5 liters. I know that the temperature range is way to big. I have a heater, but it is for 2-5 gallons so I'm worried about using it in the tank. Thanks:).
Old 11-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #4 
mjoy79

Is there anyway you can get a larger tank? They sell 2 gallon kritterkeepers for about $10-12 at petco and petsmart :)
The temperature fluctuations may be what is making your fish sick - or at least keeping him sick after being neglected by previous owner :(
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

Good that you have him in a small QT-you can float the small QT in a heated tank to maintain a more stable water temp and cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity for his labyrinth organ too-but not with the medication you are using-you need good air circulation over the water with that product.

With multi problems going on with an already compromised Betta-I would keep the lights dim and limited activity around his container....

Is he also having buoyancy problems along with the bloating-is the bloating just in the stomach area or is it his whole body-any scales sticking up, is he eating-are you on well water or what is your source water since you don't list dechlorinater-any other additives used.....can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #6 
Tobythefish

The tank is his permanent home. I'm going to move him to a bigger one(2.5 gallons) if he's still alive in late December. The bloating is only in his stomach, not his entire body. He's eating and not having buoyancy problems, we use water filtered using UV light. I can't post a pic. I'm also using aquarium salt. Should I stop the medication and float him in a heated tank? I can do that. Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would get some dechlorinator-even with the UV light you need dechlorinator...it sounds like he is toxic....if you have something small that can be floated in a heated tank-place him in that and float in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-78F range-
Premix a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-(double dose the dechlorinator) and add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this premixed like temp treatment water for 25% water changes every 5min for 30min-cover the top of this QT container with plastic veggie wrap-turn off the lights and hold food....
Tomorrow start 100% daily water changes with the premixed treatment water-....just dechlorinated premixed treatment water....
Stop all the other medications
Keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #8 
Tobythefish

Ok. I'll do that. Thanks:). He still looks bad:(.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #9 
bettalover746578305643

my fish lost alot of its color and i bought this pellet food and within a cupol of days my betta was active and hes eating now before he wasnt and he doesnt just sit in the bottom of the tank he is really healthy now mabey you should try that food for you betta fish
bettalover746578305643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #10 
Tobythefish

What was the food called?