Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 
PixelatedPaint

Please help me ID this...

Alright so I bought several bettas yesterday. All beautiful, however; They have been darting like crazy, no spots yet but you can tell that they are itching.

In my experience this tells me (TREAT FOR ICH NOW), so I've decided to do that and I've added the correct dose of super ich cure to my tanks this morning.
I added salt and increased temp last night. ( I had to go buy the meds)

Now here is my problem. Last night the betta in question was darting and scratching and so on. This morning when I got back from picking up the meds, I noticed he had a white spot on his head. Now this sport is bigger than the usual salt like size of ich. It is NOT fuzzy or elevated. I was wondering if this might be something like missing scales due to itching? What is it? Will treating him for ich help?

He is not sluggish. He is eating fine. He is darting. He is rubbing up against decor. since I added super ich cure he seems to be darting and rubbing less.

here are some pictures.

OH and don't mind the bare bottom tank. It looks dirty but I set it up for quarantine last night. The spot is NOT fuzzy or elevated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've also noticed lots of flaky debris . I don't feed them flakes.

Last edited by PixelatedPaint; 11-20-2011 at 01:50 PM.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #2 
PixelatedPaint

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon split 3 ways.
What temperature is your tank? Around 78-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? It is a divided tank. Currently divided in three but housing two. Both are darting and itching. (barebottom for QT)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin blood worms.Freeze dried.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, no over feeding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week. sometimes twice. I clean debris every two nights. These fish were bought yesterday though. So they are probably still suffering from living in a cup.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About a third to a half.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I let it sit for 24-48 hours. I add the recommended amount of aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?He looks like he lost some scaled on his head. Maybe from scratching.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Still eats, flares and such. darting and scratching. Lots of flaky detritus? Barebottom so you can really notice. This is only where the fish are located. The tank is divided in three with an empty slot with filter. No flakes there.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Darting and scratching shortly after i brought him home last night. spot this morning around 11am.
Have you started treating your fish?He is being treated for ich. I do not know what the spot is so I am not treatig that issue at the moment.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No idea
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased yesterday.

Last edited by PixelatedPaint; 11-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #3 
Myates

Handsome guy, does look like he lost some scales on his head. He could be darting from an ich infestation that may be approaching, but I'm wondering also if it could be parasitic- which causes the darting, etc.

Right now I would just make sure to do regular water changes to keep the area clean.. until you see the ich or another sign such as white waste, there really is nothing better you can do for him.

The debris could be from the rocks- how did you clean them before using them?

A few other tidbits I saw- freeze dried food is rather more of a treat then a good diet, as it lacks some of the proper nutrients you would get in pellets, or even betta specific flakes. It has a lot of protein, but the rest of what is needed isn't up to par. I would recommend feeding 4-6 pellets total a day, spread between 2 meals (2+ meals is idea to feed them, feeding one meal will either be over feeding, or under feeding). Frozen would be very good for them too.. when you do freeze dried (once or twice a week), make sure you soak them in a bit of tank water prior to feeding them as they expand while in the stomachs and can cause bloating, among other issues.

Also, you don't want to be adding in aquarium salt on a regular basis- as over exposure will cause internal problems such as liver and kidney failure. It should only be used for treatments, in the correct dosage for bettas (not what is on the package), as well as for a limited time with daily 100% water changes. Until you see a specific sign of ich, then remove them from the salt water.. would do a 100% water change if you didn't cycle your tank, if you did, then do 50%s over the next few days to clear it out.

You really need to use water conditioner, even if you let it sit out before using it (which isn't needed). Tap water with the correct dosage of water conditioner that eliminates chlorine, nitrate/ites and if possible, binds heavy metals.
In a 10 gallon, once a week 30-50% water change on a regular basis is what you will be wanting to do. Test the water prior to doing the water change to see whether or not you need to up it, or can lower the % each week.

You say they are being treated for ich, is that what the salt is for? If so, how did you do it? And unless you see the white grains on the body, can't confirm it is ich, as a few other illnesses has them darting and scratching.

*edit*
Sorry, a bit ill, wasn't intending to do this section tonight.. but wanted to help.. so didn't fully read >.< my bad.

I would recommend to stop using the AQ salt if you are using the medications, as sometimes AQ salt doesn't work well with medication. Wish there was more to say to help, but until there are other signs outside of darting, can't confirm to anything :(

Last edited by Myates; 11-20-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #4 
PixelatedPaint

No worries. I have flakes pellets and the worms. They weren't fed well before i purchased them so i started with worms. I've had them for just over 24 hours now.

I called the store before treating them with super ich cure. Apparently they decided not to tell me the bettas all had it. Some of the other males have the spots. one of the females as well. So I am treating them all. The salt and increased heat is for the ich. I know its something like no more than 10 days or it could result in kdiney problems. I will be doing a change after the 2 day period indicated on the box and not add salt. so hopefully most of the ich will be gone by then. The tank i cycled and I used conditioner for these tanks because i didn't expect to buy them. I usually let the water sit for a few days. My area does not use chloramine but they do use chlorine so over the time it sits it will evaporate.

I didn't know that the salt may reduce effectiveness of the medication. It did not state it. I added it to the tank before the fish. I also dissolved it it hot water and let it cool to room temp before adding it. No fish inside.

My major worry was the large spot on his head. I know ich is a factor, but I hadn't realized that he could literally scratch his scales off. So I was worried it was something horrid.

The rocks were baked and sterilized, before that they soaked for more than 24 hours. ( I was initially prepping a lot for the sorority tank I have, but I needed them to hold the dividers in my 10gals)

I'm wondering if it is possibly slime coat? It can't be the rocks and there is like nothing else in the tank. They are transparent and thin.