Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1 
snowflake311

keeping many bettas?

In the past I kept 8 bettas in 8 different glass containers that were 1 gal - 2 gal some were fancy vases in a heated room.

What do you guys use as breeders for holding your fry when they mature and start fighting?

I was just looking at my 100Gal and thinking, humm I could split this up for lots of bettas. But I do love the fish I have in there.

Feel free to show me your set ups.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I try to keep them together as long as possible. Often by the time they need to be separated, I rehome them. But If I do need to separate, now I use 2 tlr plastic drink bottles. Exceptional ones go into 1g tanks.

Male breeders often stay in breeding tank/tub of what ever sizees.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #3 
Myates

I keep them in the grow out tank for as long as possible to get size on them, but shortly before it's time to find them a home they go into beanie containers to grow out their fins.

I use Flexwatt to heat the containers on shelving units.. here is some of the containers (beanie baby cases) on the flexwatt to give you an idea (I do keep lids on them, they are really thin lids that I use one sided sticky foam to keep them from closing to allow air under the lids.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 
snowflake311

Beanie baby containers that's another good idea.

Some one made a tank that is split into 12 container for $20. I think I should pick it up when I got to pick up my fish on Monday. I could hook up a canister filter to this set up.

Of I will just wait till I Breed my fish and by the beanie baby cases.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Buy them well before you think you need them... Who knows how long shipping will take and how fast the males will become aggressive.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 
snowflake311

I think I am going to buy one of theses.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3895022353.html
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #7 
Myates

The only thing I want to warn you about when using barracks.. and what breeders who use them don't tell you is that if ONE fish becomes sick they ALL become sick.
You import a fish or buy a fish and it looks healthy and place it in there and it is carrying something.. then all the fish get it. Even if you QT them.. keep in mind a lot of diseases can stay with a fish for months before you spot a problem and by then it's spread throughout. A few breeders had that issue not long ago (not just one, like some claim...) when they all received some fish that had (hate mentioning it here.. ) mycos.. they all lost all of their fish because of it. It's one that you generally don't see it until it's too late and the fish are dying. A fish could also become ill in your care and it can spread..

So be very careful when using a system that shares their water. People sometimes will become lax or rely on it heavily and mistakes happen.. they don't break it down enough and actually clean it as often as they should, etc. A rack system like that is fine if the water wasn't shared.. if each individual section was it's own section and just have the water in the back that would hold a heater to heat up the sections.

But that right there is for a set up with the pumps, drain system, valves, drip system and the whole nine yards. But can work to just hold the fish.. just make sure each time you bring in any new fish you QT them for 2-4 weeks before introducing them to that.

You'd be surprised at how many breeders DON'T use that set up.. the ones that do tend to have the most trouble. A breeder here (one of the ones who lost some of their stock due to mycos) had a barrack system that crashed and broke because of a cat. So that is another thing to make sure it has - stability.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #8 
snowflake311

Very good points so much to think about. Giving each betta their own jar seems like what most people do.