Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 
karendawne

What is going on with AB????

What in the world is Aquastar71 thinking on AB??? A white betta for $1000> and a female for $500. My gosh, I thought $50.00 was a whole lot for a betta, even in Tailand.

At this rate, I need to get my bettas that I bought from my LPS (who got them from Aquastar71) and get them breeding LOL. Actually I do have my first spawn that is going on 8 weeks old and they are so cute.

But I was astounded on these prices!! Just because he has a good reputation, doesn't mean he should put his prices out of reach even for show breeders.
karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #2 
Luimeril

the big money bettas are his 'new line'. the scales are strange on them. that's what breeders often do. they develop new, interesting traits, and because they're the first, they charge big money for them.

don't forget, though. often, this is how they make their living. you buy from them, you're helping them survive.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Holy mackerel! No way! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #4 
Curlyfatbottom

plus thailand is flooded......
its a major set back for them.....
my lfs is charging more for his fish....
since his last order didn't have anything.....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #5 
erinandares

If I was going to spend a thousand dollars on fish, it wouldn't so much be on the fish itself but things for the fish like plants and awesome tank setups. Lol. I'm happy with the cute little pet store bettas here. :p I do know that by now, I've spent probably about three hundred dollars on everything for my bettas at home. But that includes tank, substrate, plants, food, water conditioner, etc etc. Bu-u-u-u-ut... $1000 for a fish is just not up my alley. Lol

EDIT: Curly, I didn't know Thailand was flooded right now! I read something about that online but I guess for some stupid reason or another I thought it meant it was flooded a while back but was relatively okay now. D:
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

Hm... Lets see...

FISH------ TV.

FISH-------TV.

I'm thinking TV.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #7 
Curlyfatbottom

its still flooded....
most farm lost there offspring
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i saw a video of some of the flooding.

but, Aquastar charges one month's rent on my house, for ONE betta when he gets something 'special'. for the price of his 'pear scale' male HM, i could pay rent, and have enough left over for a PS3. :/
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

The idea for them is for the breeding investment. Say you buy the pair for 1500 or whatever. Breed them, and manage to raise up 50 fry. Even if you were sell them for half of what you bought (males for 500 and females for 250), if you can sell a lot of them you make the money back and more, and then can continue that line with the scales and add new colors and tail types to it. I'm not a fan of the scales, but everyone has different tastes. That's why. If he sold it for 50, the fish might get bought as a pet and never bred, or someone else would buy it and bump up the price right back up to a couple hundred since they are so rare.

It's up to you if you think it's worth it. An animal is worth what people are willing to pay, lol.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 
Luimeril

if he were selling one of his "pearlscale" pairs for 1000, i could say "yeah, that's reasonable".... but just a male?