Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #1 
miish

Question Curled fins :(

I just moved away from home and wanted a fish to keep me company :) The clerk at the pet store told me a Betta fish is an easy fish to have. I realize now he wasn't being that honest and Betta fish does not equal goldfish.

This is him when I first got him:

When I first got my little Betta (I admit I don't even know what kind he is :( it's my first one) he was lively and active. This was around late September. Recently, since the weather started to cool I notice he started to become less active, spending a lot more time at the bottom of the tank. I didn't really know what was going on. Now his fins are badly curled and I feel bad for not doing some research earlier :(

-He is in a 2.5 gallon tank with pebbles and bigger rocks at the bottom.
-I do a 50% water change every week. If the tank looks extra dirty though I do a full water change.
-When I change the water I use tap water, let it sit for a few days and also add "Nutrafin" while it sits.
-I feed him "Nutrafin Max" which came with the tank package
-I do not know how hard my water is (I live in Vancouver) or really anything about the water
-His tank is currently not heated but I plan on buying a heater asap. Next chance I get to bus out to the pet store. (Hopefully by tomorrow)
-He has also lost a lot of appetite, he hardly eats anymore
-no filter or anything

So I'm just wondering what I should do to make my little fishie better :(? I don't want him to die because I feel super bad for buying him without knowing how to properly take care of him! What else can I do after buying a heater??
Any help would be very welcome <333

Here is a picture of his condition now :( I want to make him bettter again.

He lays like this a lot and it scares me because I think he has died but he hasn't

Thank you in advance for any help!!
PS: I am a student so I don't have the option to spend loads of money right now, just something to keep in mind I guess

Last edited by miish; 11-13-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
miish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #2 
Luimeril

you seem to be doing the best for him so far. a bigger tank and a heater will make him feel LOADS better.

is he a doubletail? his colors and tail are beautiful, and i thought that split was from a rip, but he has it in the first picture, too!

i'm sure once you get the heater, he'll feel loads better. do you fast him at all? give him a day you don't feed him?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #3 
miish

I'm not sure what kind he is ha ha.
I don't know if I can buy him a bigger tank right now :( but I will definitely be buying a heater soon! Will that make his fins uncurl again too? Or are they stuck like that?
And no I've never fasted him, should I do that?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #4 
Luimeril

a 2 gallon or bigger will do great. you can safely heat them. if you can't afford one of those fancy-pants kits with actual tanks, Kritter Keepers are really cheap. the 2 gallon ones range from $10 to about $12 at the most. :3

i don't know if they uncurl. my CT's rays curled up from our water(too hard, i think it was...), and they never uncurled, but some people have gotten theirs to uncurl. x:

it gives them a chance to clean out their systems. i do it, many on here do it....
Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #5 
miish

Okay, maybe I'll fast him today then!
The tank he's in right now is 2.5 gallons so that should be okay once I buy a heater right?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #6 
Luimeril

that's perfect! :3
Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #7 
miish

Thanks for your help :) I'll keep this thread updated with how he's doing!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping-you look to have a beautiful Veiltail.....maybe even a doubletail Veiltail....it looks like a natural split or two lobes in the caudal fin to me more than an injury....
The dorsal looks kinda shorter than most doubletails-usually with doubletails-the dorsal fin will mirror the anal fin and start closer to the head..he is beautiful none the less....

Your 2.5gal unfiltered tank is fine, however, I would increase your water changes to help maintain water quality and this in turn often will help overall health in general....

In 2.5gal unfiltered/without live plants-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% and 1-100%-should maintain water quality.....

You need to get a thermometer so you can monitor the water temp in both the tank and for the water used for water changes....

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand....your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range

It is important that you try to keep the water temp within a few degrees between the new and old water with the water changes to prevent temp shock issues and added stress....it doesn't have to be exact-but close.....

With the 100% water changes-you need to cup him-(if he came in one of the small temporary cups with a lid)-these are great for that-you need to re-acclimate him to the new dechlorinated water chemistry- by adding small amount of this tank water to the holding cup over 10-15min to be safe...you don't need to cup him for the 50% water changes....

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank-not just the amount of replacement water with the partial water changes as a general rule...Be sure to always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank if you are on city water supply or question your source water...better safe than sorry....

Right now-I would start making 50% water only changes for 2 days-skip a day-then 100% water change and see if this will perk him up and get him eating again....I suspect it may be water quality and/or water temp issues that is causing the behavior and appetite change....
The curled tip may or may not improve-but I suspect that they will in time with improved water quality, proper temp and good nutrition...

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #9 
miish

Thanks for all that info, I'm sure it will help!
I just went out and bought him a heater! He was curious and went up to it. He swam around it for a few minutes, he was curious but he went back to the rocks after a little. I'll see what he does when the whole tank heats up.
I bought a 17 watt Marina heater that has a present temperature of 78 Degrees. It says its mean for tanks up to 4gallons.
He seems to like the heater so far :D
Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #10 
miish

He's already looking more lively. He swam around for a bit. He likes to lay right by the heater. :)

Also,just wondering whats a good way to warm up the new water? Usually it just sits on my shelf aging. The only means I have of heating water are the new heater in the tank.. but I can't afford to buy one for the other container :(

Tags
curled, fins, sick