Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #21 
Luimeril

how often do you change his water? he looks clamped, not really curl-finned. if he is clamped, it means he's not feeling good for some reason. usually, the reason they don't feel good, is bad water quality. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #22 
miish

I used to do it once a week but now I've started changing the water more often. I changed it Saturday (50%) and I changed it today(100%) and I plan on changing it Thursday(50%) again.
What is curled fins then?
miish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #23 
miish

Sorry for asking so many questions haha but he's looking quite a bit better, except for his fins. It looks like he's trying to open them up, he even flared a bit! but he can only open them so far because the bottom half of all his fins looked like they've been pinched together and glued like that! I'm not sure if there's a way to fix this or not? Anything I can do to make him able to open his fins again?
Also, he's not a fan of flaring :P I hold mirrors up to the tank and he's more afraid of them than anything... I'm guessing he's just not a very aggressive fish? Or is that a sign of something too?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

With curled fin tips like that it may take several weeks to months before you see improvement-they look to be fussed together due to water quality issue and this all takes time....

I would go ahead and start aquarium salt and tannin treatment along with water changes for 10 days while in QT using premixed treatment water.....

If he came in one of those small temporary cups-these are great to use for QT-float it in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-78F range-be sure and attach it to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink and use the lid so he doesn't jump out

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or Oak leaf...let this Tx water steep for 30min to start the release of the tannins and the salt to dissolve....Shake well before use and use this premixed Tx water for 50% water change every 15min for 30min today and tomorrow start 100% water changes every day for 10 days.....be sure and check the Tx water temp and make sure its pretty close in temp with the Betta in the QT container....

Nutrition is really important....feed small frequent meals of a good quality varied diet.....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #25 
miish

Would all these things be available in a regular pet store? Also, he didn't come in a cup, he came in a bag..would I be able to use a regular plastic cup? Or are there chemicals that leak from them?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) can be found at most pet shop or aquarium dept....you can also use kosher salt, pickling salt its all the same thing- Sodium chloride....Iodine is safe in the amounts of most salts-but the anti-caking additives in some salt can be toxic

Tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) usually found online
Oak leaf-I use naturally dried and fallen from my trees in my yard pesticide free

Any small food/water human grade container will work-if you fear too much soap residue on the item-give it a rinse in vinegar and then a good clean water rinse after that
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #27 
miish

Okay! Thank you so much :)
I'll try to get these things as soon as I can !
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #28 
Behati

my significant other lives in vancouver and gets his water tested weekly. your tap water is very good for bettas and contains a lot of minerals! just make sure you condition the water~

Last edited by Behati; 11-17-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #29 
miish

Oh thats excellent news! :) I add conditioner at every water change!
Another question though? (I know you guys are probably getting sick of me haha!)
Is it okay to do all 100% water changes? Or is that too much stress on the fish? I want to do 100% water changes 3 times a week. Whenever i do a 50% change I just feel like the tanks still dirty because I can't get all the little poop and food bits out D:
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #30 
mjoy79

When I do partial water changes from my smaller tanks I use a turkey baster to remove the debri - which would be perfect for your current tank. For larger tanks you can vaccuum the gravel
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curled, fins, sick