Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #1 
titusthebetta

Traveling

So I'm going home for Thanksgiving break this weekend, and it seems like I might have a bit of an issue taking Nero home with me. The cup that I bought him in has a crack in it and I'm not sure if it will last through the trip (I have a 3 hour drive). Any quick solutions to ensure a safe ride home with him?
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #2 
mjoy79

Do you have access to a local pet store ?- they'll usually give out plastic cups. I would suggest a small kritterkeeper but those can slosh around a little too much in a car.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
SmokeNLark

He'll be fine alone for the weekend. Bettas can live up to 3 week without food (not recommended) I feel perfectly fine leaving mine for up to a week. Just clean his water right before you go and he'll be fine.

I would actually recommend this over taking him home seeing as the drive it so long. That would really stress him out. He'd be better off a few days without food.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #4 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNLark View Post
He'll be fine alone for the weekend. Bettas can live up to 3 week without food (not recommended) I feel perfectly fine leaving mine for up to a week. Just clean his water right before you go and he'll be fine.

I would actually recommend this over taking him home seeing as the drive it so long. That would really stress him out. He'd be better off a few days without food.
good point :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

I am taking my girl home 3 hours because the water quality in her 2 gallon tank won't be good after 10-11 days, not the same for the boys in their 5.5 that is cycled and filtered. They just get to be hungry!

I would recommend just using a Tupperware container. If you have tannins I would add those, they could def help with the stress of being moved. 3 hours really isn't all that bad for a fish. They were probably shipped much further than that to get to your local petstore, and in dirty water to boot!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #6 
titusthebetta

Yeah, I figured I'd just take him home because I'll be gone 8-9 days. I might have access to a pet store in between now and then if I leave on Saturday instead of Friday. It's recommended to keep the containers in a cooler or someplace dark (obviously without an ice pack) while traveling, correct?
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

A cooler is fine but not necessary. If you're using the cooler, it would be a good idea to add some bottles of warm water (with caps on, of course - dont pour the water) in there to keep the cooler warm... it should be warm to the touch, not hot.
If not, just the tupperware container or even a large, clean plastic slushie cup with lid will do.
Have a great trip!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote