Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 
Robin and Jillian

our betta gets stuck near the filter

We are new to this site. I have a one gallon aqueon tank with filter (came in kit). Our poor little betta hangs out near the bottom part of the filter and his fin actually seems to get stuck (its like a vaccum effect). His tail looks very raggedy. Last night, I finally took the filter out completely. I am not sure what to do. Get a new/better tank? Has anyone had this problem?
Robin and Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Sometimes bettas do find it hard to cope with the suction from the filter. You can place the toe of a pair of pantyhose over the intake to prevent his tail from being sucked in. Other members baffle it with filter sponge. :)
Raise the water temperature to 82F and do daily water changes for a while to encourage fin regrowth. :)

Welcome to the forum!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #3 
Myates

In a one gallon, you don't need a filter- would create more room, the out take won't be too strong so he would feel comfortable swimming at the surface where he needs to be to breathe.
The only difference for you without a filter would be 1 extra water change a week.
With filter you would do 50% per week with siphoning of the gravel, without the filter you would be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.
So a little extra work for you vs. more room, no current (bettas tend not to like currents since it creates drag on their fins and makes them heavy), and no damaged fins.

Otherwise, what Bomba said- panty hose on intake and an aquarium sponge on out take since it sounds as if he can't tolerate the the current if he is staying at the bottom. One gallons with a filter tend to be too strong and not always idea most of the time.
Bettas are one of the very few who don't need a filter when appropriate water changes are made, and they don't need the aeration other fish need as they breathe the air we do at the surface of the water.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 
tf1265

With 1 betta in a 1 gallon tank I can't imagine how much a difference the filter would even make. It's likely too small a tank to develop any kind of nitrogen cycle anyway, and 1 fish won't produce enough waste in the time between water changes for a filter to be necessary. I would just pull it out since it sounds like he's having trouble with it.

Water changes are easy in a 1 gallon tank. I would do a 50% water change and a 100% water change weekly, and the not having a filter won't matter. I'm not sure what type of fish that tank kit was made for since nothing else can survive in a 1 gallon tank and bettas don't tend to like or need filters, but it sounds like a marketing scheme to me :)
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #5 
Robin and Jillian

thanks to all who responded to my filter concern

I will leave the filter out and start changing the water as you recommended. Thanks for all the good advice.

Robin and Jillian
Robin and Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote