Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 
KirstyTat
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Question Installing Heater?

I just got done setting up my fish's new tank and was wondering if I did everything correctly. In the diagram on my Elite Mini Submersible 25W heater's instructions it shows the knob on top above the water, but it says it's fully submersible. That means I can put it all the way below the water? It sounds like a stupid question because of the "fully submersible" label on the package and I've seen many pictures of heaters all the way below the water. It makes me a little nervous with the cord like that though.

Also, the instructions on the Aqueon 2.5 gallon tank says not to fill up the tank all the way for a while
"When all the interior work has been done, resume filling the aquarium most of the rest of the way... Do not fill all the way to the top. Leave about an inch of clear glass at the top. You will top it off after the fish have been added."

Can someone confirm if I am doing everything correctly and clarify the heater installation? What should I do next? How long should I wait to turn the heater on and put my betta in the tank? Thank you for any help! :)
Attached Images
  
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
if im correct, my 2.5 minibow only activates the filter when its a i inch minimum below the top. theres also deocration water displacement to take into account. ive fully submersed the elite 25w adjustable and it still works perfectly. it may be the minimum mark is there to tell when its too high. its also for convenience to keep the knob above water (should you chose so) so you dont have to get your hand wet to adjust the heater if necessary atm both of mine are just below the bottom of the knob.

the heater should go on right away given the setting is higher that the water temp to make sure it goes on. id suggest you put it to 0 then adjust until the light goes on given you arent already at you temperature of choice and go from there to adjust higher or lower. for example the water temperature is 24C and you turn just until the light goes on. check to see when it stops and check the temperature. acclimate the fish to the temperature properly before setting him free. the heater will give off a slightly oily smell when on, its ok as long as it doesnt smoke when on (ie defective). id wait a few hours before adding the fish or test the heater in another tank/container wwithout fish to check if it works properly.

Last edited by nel3; 11-09-2011 at 04:30 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 
Micho
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
I submerge my heater and it's the same one as yours, no problems for me.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 
Kytkattin
Member
 
Kytkattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
I too have the same heater (50W version) and it is kept fully under the water about 90% of the time. The only thing you really need for your fish is more plants! That one tiny little thing isn't going to make him very comfortable. :/
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #5 
KirstyTat
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I too have the same heater (50W version) and it is kept fully under the water about 90% of the time. The only thing you really need for your fish is more plants! That one tiny little thing isn't going to make him very comfortable. :/
Thank you everyone! It's much better to know what others have done rather than relying on the instructions.

(I'm going to the store soon to get more plants and something else to hide in. He also has a tiny submarine but it's still in the other tank with him. :) )
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
KirstyTat
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, California
I have another question about the heater. The light doesn't seem to stay on very long. I thought it was supposed to be on until the heater was the right temperature. Is it supposed to only go on for really short time? Also, the cord seems twisted from being crammed in the packaging. I'm afraid to bend the wire to make it straight because I don't want to break anything on it. I'm not even sure if its already broken either.
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #7 
vilmarisv
Member
 
vilmarisv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Water should cascade from the filter... your water level looks just right. You want the filter cartdrige to trap the debris and for it not to be washed away by the water inside the tank. Soooo water level should touch the lip of the filter out take.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #8 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstyTat View Post
I have another question about the heater. The light doesn't seem to stay on very long. I thought it was supposed to be on until the heater was the right temperature. Is it supposed to only go on for really short time? Also, the cord seems twisted from being crammed in the packaging. I'm afraid to bend the wire to make it straight because I don't want to break anything on it. I'm not even sure if its already broken either.
can you please define a twisted cord? is it like a licorice stick/twisler or just a u shaped bend. the u shaped bend is perfectly normal given the cord isnt defective inside. either way, put the light in somewhere and flex the cord to check for a short. do any sections of wire seem hotter thas others ie just after the male plug. mine can stay on for 24hrs no problem.

Last edited by nel3; 11-11-2011 at 03:31 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #9 
KirstyTat
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Water should cascade from the filter... your water level looks just right. You want the filter cartdrige to trap the debris and for it not to be washed away by the water inside the tank. Soooo water level should touch the lip of the filter out take.
Thank you! That is good to know.
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #10 
KirstyTat
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
can you please define a twisted cord? is it like a licorice stick/twisler or just a u shaped bend. the u shaped bend is perfectly normal given the cord isnt defective inside. either way, put the light in somewhere and flex the cord to check for a short. do any sections of wire seem hotter thas others ie just after the male plug. mine can stay on for 24hrs no problem.
It was twisted slightly like a licorice stick where the cord connected to the inside of the heater. I was able to bend it back and I didn't notice any sections of the wire being hotter.
So the light is suppose to stay on for a long time? Mine is keeping the water at about 80, but the light goes on for a about 30 seconds and goes off.
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium, heater, mini bow

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heater crystalmylovee Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 0 08-07-2011 08:36 PM
Help with a heater alli Betta Fish Care 5 09-19-2010 11:28 PM
Which heater noenyu Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 14 08-15-2010 11:27 AM
heater? kiddomagic Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 08-04-2010 10:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.