Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 
Ogre44

Flaring Question

I have noticed that my Betta regularly flares at his reflection in a couple of spots in his tank.
He patrols quite assiduously and every time he swims past these areas he has brief showdown with the handsome devil in the glass.
I know that this in and of itself isn't harmful, but will prolonged exposure to his reflection cause him undue stress?
Would this "intruder" contribute to a lack of bubblenests on his part?
Ogre44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #2 
valleyankee

As a male human, I feel better about myself when i can flare up, now and then.... It's a man thing.

I think this is fine, it give him some self worth and perhaps he thinks he is chasing it away. Look at me, Mr. Macho! It keep him entertained and gives him something to do.

Does he flare at you? My flares at me constantly.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 
Ogre44

Nope, not at me, just at the fish in the mirror.
He'll chase my finger or other object around the tank and he comes to the front of his tank when I walk into the room or move once I'm in it, but no flaring.
When I first got him I never saw him flare at all, then I caught him doing it once when the room lights were out and his tank light was on, now I see him do it quite regularly.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #4 
tf1265

If he's doing it all the time it can be too much stress on him. If it's only every once in a while, he'll be fine.

As you said, he will be able to see his reflection when his light is on and the room lights are off. You can combat this by putting plants or something against that wall so he can't see his reflection, or trying to keep both sets of lights on or off at the same times.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #5 
Nanglebadger

i wouldn't get too worried tbh.

i have 6 males in a divided glass tank, divided using strips of glass, so the ones at either end have only one neighbour, but the chaps in the middle 4 cells have two neighbours.

had this set up for around 10 months or so, they flare at one another for a while, but for the most part get bored and ignore one another.

i can honestly say i haven't lost a single betta to a stress related condition.

admittedly some folk will have different experiences re. stress, but just letting you know my experience with flaring and stress, or lack of stress in my case lol.

Phil.
Nanglebadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

I know I probably don't have much room to speak as this is my first betta, however, I think he will probably be fine. I don't think Rosso sees his reflection in any part of his tank but the lighting in his tank and in my study, enables him to see me and he will flare at me for a little bit and go about his business.

He finds other reasons to flare as well. I honestly think sometimes he's just strutting his stuff a little. Look at me, I'm a big, bad, red betta. He had a pretty healthy bubble nest going, too. I had to clean his tank the other day, so he's probably rebuilding.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyankee View Post
As a male human, I feel better about myself when i can flare up, now and then.... It's a man thing.

I think this is fine, it give him some self worth and perhaps he thinks he is chasing it away. Look at me, Mr. Macho! It keep him entertained and gives him something to do.

Does he flare at you? My flares at me constantly.
Too funny..

One of mine used to flare at me daily.. now since I moved him between girls.. yeah, he ignores me now and flares at them every so often.. typical male
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #8 
TaraVictor

I was actually asking myself the same question, and I did a bit of research about it. My betta kept flaring at himself in his reflection at the back of the tank (and I have a background there) so I moved his tank a little, because I thought initially that the reflection from the window was causing him to see his reflection more. I also moved the plants around a bit to try and block his reflection. He still flares at himself, mostly when I've turned the light off, and when it's daytime. He does it at night sometimes too, but not as much. Maybe because he's a lil' sleepy. He has also been creating a few bubble nests and blowing bubbles more ever since I moved his tank mates.

I think he's a bit frightened of me, so rather than flare at me, he just backs away xD

I actually think it can be quite healthy for them too, so long as they don't do it all the time. So yeah, I'd say it's nothing to worry about.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #9 
Ogre44

This is great, thanks everybody.
He does seem to enjoy doing it, he gets quite dramatic when his reflection invades his tank :P