Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 
Nikki0917

Bright red streaks on betta's fins, please help!

My pet betta, Charlie, recently began acting very different than usual.
I have been waiting to move him from his now 1 gal tank up to a new 5 gal tank that I have set and waiting for him until I know that the move will not cause him more stress if he is already not feeling well.

He gets fed 2 times a day, betta bio-gold by hikari, normally 1 or 2 pellets, unless for some reason I am not able to do 2 feedings, then sometimes he will get 2 or 3 once a day.

Right now I have him in a 1 gal. tank, with no filter or heater (thus the reason for the new tank with filter, heater and aerator)

I change between 50-75% of his water 2 times a week, and once every 7-10 days he gets a complete water change with the gravel and tank/decorations being thoroughly cleaned with just hot water as it is my understanding any kind of soap residue is toxic.

I also test the water before the complete water change, thinking this would show the water quality at its worst. It normally comes back negative for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

Recently he has begun acting more lethargic then usual, not acting as "excited" as normal when he has an audience, moving to his food slower etc., he has also developed red streaks in his fins in what used to be solid white areas. The streaks are a deep almost bloody looking red, but there is absolutely nothing in his tank that he may have gotten scratched or cut on, as all his decorations are smooth aquarium approved glass type. His fins appear to be slightly crimped at the edges, but have not receded towards his body, which is what has made me think it was something other then fin rot.
He has continued eating, but as I said he just does not seem as interested in it as he has normally been.
He also spends more time at the bottom of his tank now, he's always been a little on the relaxed side, lounging in the middle of his tank just floating around or swimming slowly, but now as I said he spends more time right near the bottom of his tank, right next to his favorite decorations base.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?
I have read about just about anything it could be but was having some trouble narrowing down what was really wrong, and of course don't want to cause more harm or stress by treating him for something its not.

Last edited by Nikki0917; 11-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Nikki0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 
Nikki0917

Question

also, not sure if this is relevant but I recently cut his food back a little because he was seeming a little bloated, now he his back to normal size. Could the overfeeding have caused this problem?

Last edited by Nikki0917; 11-20-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Red streaks usually indicate septicemia. I'd look into a medication that treats it since I don't think aquarium salt will help it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #4 
Nikki0917

ok, thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #5 
Nikki0917

Update: This morning he was extremely reluctant to eat, only eating 1 pellet and taking a lot of time to get there. I also noticed that when i looked at him straight on one of his eyes was slightly larger then the other. It was always my understanding that popeye would not be so subtle, but could this be a new symptom of septicemia? Or something different all together?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

It could very well be the start of popeye. Usually you can find a medication that treats both issue since they can be connected.

I think Maracyn 1 or Maracyn 2 treats speticemia and popeye. I think tetracycline does as well.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote