Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #11 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
That lucky bamboo is actually dracaena sanderiana, the house plants you see that are made to look like little palm trees are the same type of plant (dracaena). The leaves don't like to be underwater because they'll rot quicker than the stalk would, and yes they can be toxic to a fish if the leaves or stalk is cut and leaking into the water. If you ever go to a Petsmart/co look for their "bamboo shrimp" in the tanks with the dracaena, there will be more dead than alive :(
Dracaena is sold as aquatic plants, but they are indeed not.. and you are correct, good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb5584 View Post
I think just to be safe I'll take them out for the time being and put something else in to give him some cover.

Got back last night and he'd started on his dorsal fin too.
Poor guy.. wish there was something us as owners could do as a for sure thing to stop them. Silly fish..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #12 
Rjb5584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Poor guy.. wish there was something us as owners could do as a for sure thing to stop them. Silly fish..
honestly, since I've heard they can be somewhat trained, I've considered tossing a pingpong ball near the tank each time he tries to bite his tail. But, at this point, he's already lost so much of his tail it doesn't matter. That, and I'd feel bad scaring him.
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #13 
Luimeril

i've given up on stopping tail biting. all i do now, is make sure they don't get infections. in fact, Ichi, my only tail biter, seems alot happier with his short tail~!

but, if you want to try to stop him, figure out why he's doing it. give him lots of plants to explore, and rearrange his tank every time you do a water change. that stopped my copper delta. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #14 
Rjb5584

Yeah. I think it really was just a matter of overgrown fins, as there's only about a quarter of his caudal fin left, even though I've tried more plants, different plants, different arrangement of the plants, a larger tank, a better heater, higher ratio of his favorite food to pellets, and changing location of the tank. He seems pretty hell-bent on eating as much of his tail as he can.

Reminds me and my girlfriend of the Goldfish crackers song: "I got fishes and they're so delicious..."

..that they eat themselves.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #15 
Brian10962001

Have you tried giving him a mirror to flare at?
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #16 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb5584 View Post

Reminds me and my girlfriend of the Goldfish crackers song: "I got fishes and they're so delicious..."

..that they eat themselves.
o.O dangit, now that song is in my head..
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #17 
Captain Jim Dandy

Thank you Myates--- it's going to be a good day.
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #18 
Rjb5584

Brian, yes, all my guys get plenty if time with a mirror each day.

Myates, sorry bud!