Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
erinandares

Question Please Explain.

Is it possible for a betta not to be able to blow bubble nests? Maybe this is a stupid question, and I know why they do it and all. But let me explain. Phaistos is a crazy flirt with the little girl across the divider from him. He showboats for her all day long, and sometimes, I'll see him doing what Hermes does when he blows bubblenests, sticking his face up and taking a breath and then sticking his face a little bit away and then repeat, multiple times in a row.

Sometimes, a big bubble will float up from him before he even gets back to the surface, but apparently, he just sucks at bubblenests. >.> He's done this in now three different places, as he's doing it right now. But every time I get up to go check, there are no bubbles! Does he maybe just not have the hang of it yet? Or is it something else like he has a hard time with his labyrinth organ? Argh, Phaistos is so weird. :/
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Some fish are just poor bubble nesters. He may not actually be trying to make a nest. Some bettas just blow bubbles when they take a breath.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #3 
erinandares

Eh, I guess he's just bad at it. I thought he was trying to take a breath, but he did it so many times. I went and looked a while later and he had like, seven bubbles in a row. Lol. He was trying to build a bubble nest. >.<
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

It could also be that there's too much flow (if there's a filter), the temperature's not right, air above the water is too cold or too dry. There's a million reasons why it might not be sticking.

My old desk buddy never made bubblenests. I just figured that was part of his personality until I put him in a QT tank while I was moving and he mad a huge nest. Turns out the filter was causing his nests to break up.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #5 
erinandares

I feel kinda dumb for asking that question, now. Lol. There isn't any current on the surface at all, on his side, at least. He's furthest away from the filter since he is also not that great a swimmer for some reason. Probably either his long tail or his weird ventrals. But anyway, yeahhhh.... I also wouldn't be surprised to learn he's just a weirdo like that. Lol. Thanks, 1fish2fish.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some of mine haven't made nests in a long time but now they're blowing up a storm. lol My little Echo blew his second one the other day. I'm so proud of him. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #7 
Luimeril

out of my four boys...... King Steve and Scout blow amazing nests. King Steve even moves his around. Sniper hasn't tried yet, he's too new. Ichi........ can't get the hang of it. he blows bubbles EVERYWHERE.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 
erinandares

Hermes blows the best nests out of my boys. Lately, though, he's been slacking or something because he just blows bubbles all over the place and doesn't really make a nest out of them. Spiridion blew his first the other day. It was smaller than a dime, lol. Phaistos has been trying, I guess. But no success yet. Maybe he'll get better. :)

Lumieril, I didn't know they could move them!! That's awesome!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #9 
Luimeril

i didn't, either, until i checked on King Steve, and his nest wasn't where it was! it was too big for him to have destroyed and rebuilt!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Oh yeah they can move them, you can too. When one of mine has an especially good one and I don't want to destroy it while doing a water change I scoop it out with a spoon and place it in a shallow dish of tank water, do the water change, then place the nest back where it was LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
betta fail, bubble nest