Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #1 
KirstyTat

Cleaning with the heater.

Hi! I set up my betta's new 2.5 gallon tank 3 days ago and I'm wondering if I should change some of the water soon. Some people say it's good to do a 50% water change every few days. My tank has a filter, but it was too strong so I keep it off most of the time.
It would be easy to scoop some water out and pour some new water in, but I am wondering what is the best way to do it with the heater. How long should I wait after unplugging the heater to take water out and put new clean water in?
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You either need to leave the filter running all the time or remove it...by turning it off any good bacteria that has colonized will die due to lack of oxygen and when your turn the filter back on-you can flood the tank with ammonia.....

With any water changes you want to unplug the heater and filter if used....this is for your safety...and to allow the heater to cool off for 10-15min if the water level will be dropped to the point that the heater will be exposed to the air-just remember to plug it back in and monitor the temp for a few hours.....

It is a good idea to start you first 50% on or about day 3 of setting up the tank....then schedule your second weekly from that point....since it will be-2.5gal unfiltered tank-I would make twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...provided that you don't have live plants...

Be sure and try to keep the water temp between the new and old water within a few degrees of each other to prevent temp shock by checking with a thermometer....

And re-acclimate to the new chemistry with 100% water changes by adding small amounts of the new water to the holding container over 10-15min....you don't have to remove him for the 50% water changes.....

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with the partial water change as a general rule....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 
Fishmar

If your heater is near the bottom of the tank, and won;t be affected by taking water out, so that the heater itself is not exposed to the air, it should be okay to do the change without unplugging it. I know some heaters are like this such as the tetra ht submersible heater 50 watts.
Fishmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You either need to leave the filter running all the time or remove it...by turning it off any good bacteria that has colonized will die due to lack of oxygen and when your turn the filter back on-you can flood the tank with ammonia.....

With any water changes you want to unplug the heater and filter if used....this is for your safety...and to allow the heater to cool off for 10-15min if the water level will be dropped to the point that the heater will be exposed to the air-just remember to plug it back in and monitor the temp for a few hours.....

It is a good idea to start you first 50% on or about day 3 of setting up the tank....then schedule your second weekly from that point....since it will be-2.5gal unfiltered tank-I would make twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality...provided that you don't have live plants...

Be sure and try to keep the water temp between the new and old water within a few degrees of each other to prevent temp shock by checking with a thermometer....

And re-acclimate to the new chemistry with 100% water changes by adding small amounts of the new water to the holding container over 10-15min....you don't have to remove him for the 50% water changes.....

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with the partial water change as a general rule....
Thank you! This helps a lot!
(I'm not going to turn the filter on anymore until I can find a way to stop the current and get a new cartridge or sponge.)
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #5 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmar View Post
If your heater is near the bottom of the tank, and won;t be affected by taking water out, so that the heater itself is not exposed to the air, it should be okay to do the change without unplugging it. I know some heaters are like this such as the tetra ht submersible heater 50 watts.

Thanks! My heater is vertical and almost touches the bottom of the tank. I'll just make sure to let it adjust to the temperature every water change. :)
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Unplug your heaters always whether the water reaches below it or not. This is a live electrical current going from the wall to an open source of water, you stick your hand in and something goes wrong, guess what?? Zap. Unplug please!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #7 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstyTat View Post
Thank you! This helps a lot!
(I'm not going to turn the filter on anymore until I can find a way to stop the current and get a new cartridge or sponge.)
do you have any AQ sponge or foam? if so you can take a small peice about an inch in height. thickness of the sponge will be dependant on the intake tube most likely 5mm-10mm. you can select a tickness big enough that the suction of the filter wont suck up when running. cut a horizontal peice an inch long and push it down the intake tube just enough to barely cover all the intake holes/slots. try it out if it still needs more plug the intake a bit more or block the outflow with some aq sponge. it will also limit tail damage from suction but covering the exterior of the intake tube will make it even better along with an aq sponge plug.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #8 
Fishmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Unplug your heaters always whether the water reaches below it or not. This is a live electrical current going from the wall to an open source of water, you stick your hand in and something goes wrong, guess what?? Zap. Unplug please!!

Hmm....it appears as though my heater manual is trying to kill me.....:) thank you for the tip--the manual has mislead me.
Fishmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Mine says to unplug, I am sure it's not for my safety but to cover their behinds in case of a lawsuit haha
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 
jfw

What kind of filter is it? I have the aquatech one from walmart $10.95 all I had to do was lift up on the intake tube a little bit and I can pretty much make the flow whatever I want. Its almost as if it was designed that way .
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium cleaning, heater