Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 
Loveless

SBD Problem

Housing
What size is your tank?
10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Penguin Bio-Wheel 100
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Typically 6 days a week, 4 pellets a day. When I noticed he was getting a little rounded, I cut back to 2 a day. But he hasnít been fed for almost 2 weeks now.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8 Ė 7.2
Hardness:
about 75
Alkalinity:
about 120
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Heís bloated and has trouble swimming, bobs at the top of the water. Is usually almost always a whitish color instead of his usual white and pinkish color.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active, trys to jam self under ornaments to keep from floating to the top
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 weeks ago he started looking a little round, so I cut down on how much I fed him. About a week later, he looked even worse and started having trouble swimming.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Last week I got some Epsom salt and treated him with that in a 2 gallon I had. He looked a little better within 24 hours. 2 days after he had a bowel movement. I kept him in the tank for another 3 days, until last night. He looked perfectly fine, hadnít had any problems, so I moved him back into his 10 gallon. Got up this morning and checked on him to see that he was bloated up again and struggling to swim. Also, while in the 2 gallon, I changed his water daily.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I donít know.

So Iím a bit confused here. I treated him and he seemed 100% better, but when I moved him back to his old tank he bloated up again without even being fed. Did I not treat him long enough? Is it something in the water? I noticed there was a bit of algae in his tank; could that have anything to do with it? I just want to know what Iím doing wrong and what I can do to make him better.
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #2 
brownmane

Your info says that you change 10% of the water weekly? More of a water change would be beneficial to your fish either way.

If you had success with him in the smaller tank, maybe, until someone has more information for how to help him, you continue with that since he seemed to recover. I have tried to treat betta that I've had for constipation, and unfortunately have not been successful. The smaller tank would allow him to get to the surface for air easier while he is recovering.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
Loveless

What would be the recommended amount for a water change then?

And alright, I'll do that. Will be easier to keep an eye on him too.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #4 
brownmane

Sorry, I haven't been on the site for a while. How is your fish doing? Water changes are usually 25-50% weekly, depending on the size of your tank. I have a 10 gallon with 4 female betta (just got two of them 3 days ago). For that tank, I try to do a 50% water change weekly.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #5 
Loveless

He's not really any better yet, but no worse either. He seems afraid to leave his cave though. He stays hidden all the time. I switched to doing 50% water changes for his 10 gallon. He hasn't yet been moved back into his 2 gallon because I'll be going on break soon and there will be no one here to do water changes. I plan to move him into it the night I get back and see if he improves again.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Loveless, for water changes in a cycled 10g, I would recommend 20-25% at the very most. Especially if there is only one fish in there. It sounds like he might have a bacterial infection. Try him in 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon for a few days and see if that makes any difference. If he'll eat, feed him Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. The pellets may be a bit hard to find, but for internal infections, they are a good method of treatment. And yes, you read correctly: Anti-Parasite. Even though it's a bacterial problem, the medication in the Anti-Parasite pellets is very effective for treating internal bacterial problems.

If he doesn't show any improvement after a few days of epsom salt and pellets, we may need to try a different medication.

I hope this helps him, poor little guy. Hang in there and good luck with him. Keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #7 
Loveless

Alright, thank you. I will start treatment as soon as possible. I really hope it works. I hate seeing him like this.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #8 
Sakura8

:( I understand. It's really hard watching sick fish because you can't pet them or comfort them like you could with a cat or dog or even a bird.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #9 
Loveless

Exactly. I've had cats all my life, and it is really different. When they got sick or something bad happened, I could easily comfort them. But with Dynamo I've felt completely helpless since I couldn't figure out what was wrong and I couldn't do anything to comfort him either.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #10 
brownmane

The other small bit of advice that I can give, is keep him in a quiet place and perhaps just leave the tank light off. Just make his environment a little more secure and cozy feeling for him. Sakura8, from what I've read of her posts, knows what she's talking about.