Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #1 
Okami

I dont know what to do

Ok im 85% my older betta has dropsey. He had a fat belly and the scales on his belly were raised. He is floating in a vertical position or will go to the bottom of the tank and stay vertical. He actualy is still eating which is surprising. This started weeks ago, and I posted about it.

I dont know what to do. yes hes old. I credit that to him coming from a private breeder and my caring for him. To be exact hes almost 6. since I got him when i was a senior in collage back in 2006.

My G.F's mom used to be heavy in the aquarium hobby and said i should euthanize him in a cup of ice water. I just cant bring myself to do it and dont know what to do. I dont know if hes suffering or not. :(
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up on him too soon(I am sure your not).....even if it is age related.....I would go ahead and start Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) and tannins along with water changes-if he wants to eat...feed him...but small frequent meals...cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ.

This may not be a cure-but it will help make him more comfy-since he has beat the odds-if he seems to be struggling you need to do what is right by him.....

What size tank is he in and is he having problems getting to the top to breath-since this is a special case (normally you would QT to treat with premixed treatment water)-you may want to treat in his tank and lower the water level....more information on the setup would help and a pic....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 
Okami

he is in a 5 gallon and he gets to the surface just fine. I do have tanis tea bags on hand. Ill take a picture of the set up when i can this evening and post it here.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #4 
Okami

Ok heres some pics. I couldnt get a good shot of my Betta because hes huddling against the filter return